• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help needed with telescope!

Guest elaine

Hi, 

I'm new to this site, and may honestly be barking up the wrong tree!

We bought a telescope at Christmas for our son, and despite being outside for hours freezing on clear nights, we haven't seen anything interesting and we're losing heart. 

It may be that the telescope wasn't set up properly to start with (the set up was fairly complicated, and it got put together in a series of rushed installments on Christmas Day,  amid many distractions),  or it may be that we just aren't using it correctly, or don't know what we're looking for.

He was initially so keen and I'd like to get some help before he gives up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for help? 

Many thanks

Elaine

Hi Elaine

Don't worry your not alone there are lots of folks who have been in the same position.

1st before we can help could you give us a few details as to what the scope is, make model size, type etc. Then give us an idea of the problems you are having, e.g. cant see anything through it etc etc

Thanks

Hi Elaine and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

You're in the right place for help - please pop your question in the Beginners Help section and you'll get lots of visibility and plenty of replies. You'll need to state the precise make and model of your scope and a definition of the problem you're having.

If you still can't fix the problem that way then you'd be very welcome to pop over to my place with it and I'll fix it up for you and give you an introduction to the night sky and how to use the scope to find things.

Hope you enjoy the forum :)

Thank you everyone!

Will attempt to find and get into the beginners site tomorrow,  but meanwhile the telescope is a Skywatch Explorer 130m Newtonian Reflector.

Elaine

Hi Elaine and welcome. Don`t lose heart with the scope. One of our local members has the same set up as you and it is a very capable scope and once you have been shown how, it will show you a whole host of amazing and interesting objects.

As mentioned above, post your questions in the beginners section, or if you are able to, take the scope along to one of the local meetings. Or go see Kim, a very knowledgeable and nice chap. 

Thanks. I will try the beginners section, but it would be great to have a look through a telescope that's set up properly, at least to confirm that we need to start again with this one! We can see odd specks of light through it, but quite honestly we're better off just looking at the sky without it!! 

Need to sign off tonight but will pop back tomorrow!

If you go out through Newbold Verdon and Desford and head for Ratby - I'm about 3mins from Ratby village center.

Just let me know - I used you have the 130P and it's very capable indeed - and dead easy to use once you know what's what with it. :)

I also had the 130p and loved it, point it at m42 in orions belt, you'll get good views of that with a 130 meet, use something like a 20mm eyepiece.

Hi, I still use my 130 and still surprised by what I can see with it. Please don't give up. The instructions can be confusing. Kim will have you set up in no time. Good luck.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi here,

Good advice above, it also helps if you know where to point the scope so a basic star atlas such as 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas' and a copy of' 'turn left at orion' will help you guide your way round the sky. Download a planetarium program, there are lots around, but one of the best is Stellarium as its interface and menu's are straightforward. It is a free download and can be found here   :---- http://www.stellarium.org/

Edited by Tweedledum

Welcome to EMS Elaine.

You've certainly come the right place to help you and your son enjoy and get the most out of your scope. It will definitely show you some fine sights once you have it properly set up. :)

Thank you everyone for helpful comments - this site is obviously a great place to start! 

Reading a bit more about what we should be seeing and looking at a few images has convinced me this telescope right at all.

Kim if you're serious I'd love to pop over with Jamie at some point - would be lovely to see something properly after hours of wasted time. Have a think and let me know!

Elaine

This week started a bit mad unexpectedly - but it's gone calm now. If you want to trip over anytime until the w/e I can be available.

You won't have pm access yet so if you'd like to join me in a "private chat" I can give you a number to call. :)

(See top middle of main page for Chat)

Having a brainache with this site - it won't let me do anything and then I keep struggling to get back! If you're able to give me a number then great, or maybe you can e mail me if you's rather not put a number on here. You obviously know what you're doing unlike me!

Hi Elaine,

and welcome.

Visiting Kim sounds like a great idea to get you started. In the mean time if the weather allows. A good place to start is the moon.

Being very bright it's easier to find and allows you to check and learn how to focus.

Also, with most other objects don't expect to see Hubble or even astrophotography type views

Hope your son can regain his interest when things are up and running.

Best of luck

Steve

Hi Elaine and a warm welcome to EMS. If you go around to Kim's you'll find him very helpfull (he's helped me a lot) and as well as setting your own scope up it will give you chance to have a look at some other types of scopes and a multitude of eye pieces. The teas good too!

If you go over Kim's you might have to drag your son out. Kim's Emporium takes some getting round!

He's a great guy and you'll be up and running in no time.

Hello Elaine. Welcome. These fellas are great.

I remember when I started with an interest in astronomy, pictures of colourful galaxies and nebulae in books gave me the impression I should be able to see astonishing coloured gas clouds.

Those pictures are taken with long exposures where the camera film or sensor in a digital camera, records all the light and builds it up. The human eye can't see thus colour with some notable exceptions e.g. the orion nebula can have a faint subtke greenish colour - Ive seen its colour and your scope will show that but its more Likely with dark adapted eyes (staying in the dark for 20 mins or more. If you look thro a scope then go back in the lit house, and back to the scope, you'll loose that dark adaptation and will need to start again to see as much.

Once you get the hang of observing techniques, and know how to use the scope (and have confidence in it being checked out), you'll see more. Very faint objects are difficult to spot if large areas of the sky is scanned or sweeped in seconds. If you find an area of interest, it is best to keep looking at that part in the eyepiece, then very slowly move the scope a small distance - e.g. one diameter if the field you're looking at. You'll start to notice faint objects that come into view. If you race past several diameters in seconds, you'll miss objects that would otherwise be seen.

Of course, one thing that could he wrong, is that the optics are not collimated (aligned). This isn't a fault, it's just that optics move - esp reflectors and it is easy to adjust them in minutes.

Try the moon and Jupiter - the very bright planet overhead facing south. Try focussing on a roof or aerial in the day time to confirm you can see things like that.

I doubt your son will loose enthusiasm if you take him to Wymeswold where members bring all sorts of equipment. Ge could have a look through various. The enthusiasm of this group is inspiring.

Note: a word of warning. Don't point your scope towards the sun and never look at the sun through the telescope.

Guest heavensabove

Hello, Elaine. Welcome to the site; I'm sure you will soon be sorted. I haven't been brave enough to buy a scope yet! Hopefully, we will have some clear nights and I can get along to a meeting and see some decent scopes before  deciding what to purchase.

It was lovely meeting you and Jamie this evening Elaine - hope Jamie has a bit of an idea of how to set up and operate the scope now.

If you find that washer then the motor will work fine once the spring is screwed to the mount. I would also suggest you pop a smear of lithium grease on the two axis worms or they will eventually begin to grind and wear.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled that wine bottle out of the bag only to discover it was cognac. You really didn't need to do that - we offer help for free - so I owe you a bit more time with Jamie now lol. Once he's had a play with it for a week or two I'll pop over and we can have a session together and refine his routine and spend a bit more time on the sky. Best regards :)

You beat me to it - just logged on say thank you so much for having us over this evening.

I'm not sure I should be telling everyone how great you are with a telescope, or you may never get a free evening with fellow beginners like us  turning up at your door and taking up your whole evening!! Seriously, a very big thank you for your time and patience, and seeing Jupiter and all the moons through Jamie's scope was amazing. I realise we didn't help you at all by turning up minus alum keys and washers, but in spite of these obstacles you've managed to sort us out. No idea where those bits are but will look tomorrow.

Thank you again from both myself and Jamie too - he's now fired up to give it another go,  but he's not allowed to continue tonight as he's been despatched towards shower and bed!

Thanks again and chat soon - and yes if you fancy popping over please do, be good to see you.