• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Poor laptop

dawson

I got this laptop about 18 months ago:

http://www.samsunglaptop.co.uk/Samsung_NP700Z5C-S01UK_Laptop/Everyday/Samsung+laptops/d

It's never been very fast, and is sluggish to boot up, sluggish to open any software, sluggish to go between programmes, prone to freezing, and the hard disk flicks constantly despite me uninstalling anything unnecessary and trying to identify anything running in the background (all bloat ware has been removed). I did a clean re-install about 6 months ago which made marginal difference. I've got about half the drive full (it had more on but I've deleted loads and it's made no difference).

I've run various cleaning programmes (ccleaner and the like) which have cleaned up but the underlying slowness and clunkyness persists. I've since fully un-installed abny of these programmes too.

I'm currently downloading all my data onto an external hard drive to do a clean re-install of Windows 7 again, but any tips or suggestions when I'm setting it up again to make it better?

The windows rate the performance show (scale 1.0 to 7.9):

Processor 6.5
RAM 7.9
Graphics 7.0
Gaming graphics 7.0
Primary hard disc 5.9

It's got a 7.46GB internal SSD drive (which isn't big enough to hold Windows), and a 1TB bog standard internal HDD. Will replacing the main internal drive to an SSD likely resolve all my [laptop] whinging?

It's going to end up being thrown against a wall soon if it doesn't get sorted.

Thanks for any ideas.

James
(the ginger whinger)

With that spec it should fly. I usually find the thing that slows Windows down is security software constantly scanning cos it's not set to work sensibly. That's what I found when mine started slowing down. Soon as I stopped the constant scanning the performance improved ten fold. Hope that helps a bit. :)

i also turned off automatic updates, that really played havoc with my laptop which is an old dell d610, used to work fine, i looked up on google and found this to be a pain for most

Hi James,

I use Iolo System Mechanic on my Laptops.

Really does keep them sorted....

Clutter / Hard Drive / Registry / Startup Programs etc etc....

Also never trashed my PC unlike some free offerings.

I have also found that Norton Security and Kaspersky caused probs in the past for me...

Take a look here

http://www.iolo.com/products/system-mechanic/

It isn't free but worth every penny and can be loaded onto multiple PCs.

Costs me arround $15 a year to add years.

All the best

Ade

Thanks for hte comments so far.

It's got 8Gig RAM.

Even from a re-install of Windows it certainly doesn't 'fly' which makes me wonder if there is something more fundamentlaly wrong. I've always assumed these tune up software things are useful to keep a computer in prime condition, which I'#d presumed it should be after a fresh install.

JD

Yep, in my experience more memory speeds things up, but you already have loads.

Are there any power saving modes which throttle performance to save battery life enabled?

Thanks for hte comments so far.

It's got 8Gig RAM.

Even from a re-install of Windows it certainly doesn't 'fly' which makes me wonder if there is something more fundamentlaly wrong. I've always assumed these tune up software things are useful to keep a computer in prime condition, which I'#d presumed it should be after a fresh install.

JD

James,

Excuse the question but I have to ask...

Did you reformat the hard drive before the reinstall?

Windows reinstall over an existing copy will not necessarily improve things, but I'm guessing you know that.

So I would expect a completely fresh reinstall would fix things unless there are other issues such as the fan packing up on the processor(s) in which case they can go slow as self preservation. Ram failure and hard disk problems can also cause problems. Strange because you ran some metrics OK.

Cheers

Ade

Try :

1. Remove any unwanted services - some services are left running even though you have removed the s/w - remove or stop and disable

2. run a chkdsk to make sure that you don't have a problem with the hard drive - hint - right click disk - click properties - then tools - error check  -this will run next time you start the lap top

3. If (2) ok the defrag via same route - repeat 2 and 3 on each disk(partition)

4. Check the event logs in case there is a critical problem

5. Hold the swap file(virtual memory) on a different disc to the windows system files - control panel - system - advance system setting -advance tab - performance settings -advance tab - virtual memory -should be at least the same as your memory size.

SSD are great for Windows system type files (write once or not often but read lots) - They do have a limitation on the number of writes SSD (although its alot)  hence not really best for holding files that change often. You should be able to get Windows 7 onto 7gb if you hold your docs on the 1tb and move the swap file - messy but possible. Plus Windows Cache and update files take up one hell of alot of room.

Yep, in my experience more memory speeds things up, but you already have loads.

Are there any power saving modes which throttle performance to save battery life enabled?

Good point....

It's on high power usage settings as far as I can tell.

The fan does go mad quite often when it is thinking about things. I've blown and sucked (with the hoover) the limited number of slits in the casing to remove fluff, but there isn't any to be seen; there is no obvious casing to remove to get access to any fans.

I am pretty sure I did a re-format last time, but going to get Leigh to help me this time (he doesn't know yet), and get rid of the partitions and do a thorough reformat.

JD

It's doing a disc check now, I'll report back. I'll do the defrag too. The other things look a bit out o fmy comfort zone without details instructions to follow, but I will pass them onto my IT technician.

Thanks again all. Hopefully It this time things will get sorted and become slicker.

JD

when my laptop fan goes crazy i found it was 1 program taking all the memory up and freezing the laptop,

they are a pain aren`t they

Leigh will know this but don't reformat all the partitions just the ones you can see thru windows (i.e. C: or D: etc) - one or more may carry you image of Windows 7 and are normally hidden.

The  problem (if the hardware is ok and 8gb "should" be ok - depends on what you run) ,could be anti virus s/w are you using - some are very very demanding and use vast resources. Especially if the Virus program is set to "max" - what the latter is called depends on the virus program you have installed.

So long as you are sure that you haven't a virus and your virus checker has the ability to do a temp "disable" - try running with the Virus program disabled BUT DO NOT GO ONTO THE INTERNET while this is disabled. So if this makes any difference.

Leigh should be able to check Task manager to see what is using all your proc & memory.

Another problem is that not a hard drives are the same(access speed/spin speed) and your windows score suggests that the hard drive (notSSD) could be a bottle neck - "your laptop if as fast as its slower component". Your spec says Hard Drive RPM: 5400 which isn't fast

Cant remember where the setting is "bios" or Windows but make sure that all the processors are being used have seen quad machines set to run only 2 processors.

Was the SSD an add on ?

As you are running 64bit Win 7 you can upgrade beyond 8gb if you have memory usage problems- subject to memory type slots etc.

Check the Bios/Windows settings in case the graphics card is using shared memory. System properties will show how much memory is left for windows.

As you can see there are lots of things.

Bottom line Quad core I7 should fly unless you are doing heavy graphics then you are stuck - can't change the graphics card in laptops.

That machine has a small SSD for ReadyBoost use. Some of the i7 series laptop chips are actually only dual core but with hyperthreading enabled they look like quad cores. It still should have decent performance though. My desktop only has a disk rating of 5.9 but I've never seen it slow. You could try this tool to check the HHD health - http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/ (Samsung source their disks from Seagate).

Go into the BIOS and check the disk is set to use ACHI mode and not IDE.

A reinstall of the SATA driver might be worthwhile - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel%C2%AE+RST%29&OSVersion=Windows+7+%2864-bit%29*

Do post any other performance tips though. Whilst being in IT, Windows is not my day job. I do enterprise Unix/Linux for a living, so do lose track of some of the "nuances" of Microsoft's offering.

You could use SFC (System File Checker from Microsoft) which will check and replace all Microsoft system files. SO that looks for corrupt,out of date and "compromised" files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 - is the link for SFC.

There is a great set of Tools on a CD/USB/Download which also has some memory/HDD test sw just in case your memory chips are playing up - but normally you get a BSOD (Blue screen of Death) but not always.

They are some utilities to do "low level" reformatting of your hard drive(does proper alternative track processing)  if you decide this is the route but this does it at a much lower level than the standard microsoft format s/w - it may even be on Leighs Seagate's link

link for Hirens collection of s/w is http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

- but if Leigh(your personal IT Techie ;) ) is going to look at your Laptop I would advise you to let him run the utilities if he hasn't his own preferred set of tools as they are dangerous to run is misused!!!!!!

If still no luck and before you Install W7 again it might be worth Downloading Autoruns from Microsoft which will give you a lot more detail than Task Manager on what is being started,from who -

link for autoruns  - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Note There is no single Anti Virus program that finds all virus's so just because your present one says there are no virus's that is not gospel - I used to work for a Big three anti virus s/w company.

If you find a suspicious file use https://www.virustotal.com/ to check the file - again not 100%.

But IMO I would look at problems with hardware and software first.

Hope you get sorted it !  :)

Clive, I've run the SFC thing and it didn't find any problems.

I'm lining up for a fresh install once Leigh has a spare day :)

Thanks.

JD

Clive, I've run the SFC thing and it didn't find any problems.

I'm lining up for a fresh install once Leigh has a spare day :)

Thanks.

JD

HI James,

Ok no problem these things are never simple.

May I suggest Leigh does a low level format so that if there are any "bad" areas(tracks) of your hard drive these can be rerouted. All drives have a small amount of spare space for doing just the latter.

Anyway I am sure Leigh will sort it if you need any further ideas just drop us a line - hope it goes well - you should be sky gazing not "laptopping"  :)

Clive

Guest ecopley

Look at this.

The ones if go for first would be turning off indexing and animations/visual effects. Then increase file system cache.

When you reinstall windows, put it on the big drive. Put your swap file on the ssd. The swap file is used lots of times whereas (basically) windows is loaded once so you will get a better boost having a faster swap file.

If your fans are speeding up a lot then you might need to get all the fluff out of your heat sink. I hear you, it can be a pain but thermal throttling will make the fastest chips slow right down. The fluff can be far more tenacious than you might think. Getting right to the heat sink and using a dry tooth brush will win you loads of nasty grey filth and a quieter faster computer.

I'll bring some screwdrivers over one day and give you a hand.

Guest fondofchips

The problem could be hardware based, try removing the memory modules one at a time & rebooting, bad module will run slow, or one of the memory slots may be faulty.

Is the boot sequence correct in the Bios?  (HDD first, perhaps its trying the SSD first, not finding the operating system and then trying other sources).

Firewalls - I had a similar problem to this, caused by the Windows firewall & my Antivirus firewall being turned on at the same time.

You shouldn't be having slow operation for your spec of laptop.

There's only one ram stick; it's been taken out and put back in. It's not just boot that is slow, it's just sluggish full stop. Turning of live protection on the microsoft security programme seemed to have made things quicker, though I've also removed loads of stuff off the hard drive and got it from having 400gb free to having 650gb free; it's got a partition i made to try ubuntu on, but i never use that and want to delete that partition too. It's a little job for the weekend.

It's only 18 months old, I can't believe it needs replacing! I'm hoping a new install will sort it out once and for all....