• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ED80 mod

RonC

Just done the ED80 pro mod from the Astronomy Shed tutorials and it worked a treat! Yet to hanf the 1000d on it but a definite improvement! Still thinking of an upgrade though, as the SW does not rotate and is a PITA on an EQ mount! Still no rush now!

Cheers

Ron

Stick a nose piece on the T ring Ron then you can rotate it at will.

Don't know if that is the same 'Will' every one keeps shooting at but if it is I guess he would be relieved at the change. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can rotate the diagonal/T piece OK, it's just the focus knobs end up at a rediculas angle sometimes!! (Any way fancy a Moonlight before I retire!!)

Just done the ED80 pro mod from the Astronomy Shed tutorials and it worked a treat! Yet to hanf the 1000d on it but a definite improvement! Still thinking of an upgrade though, as the SW does not rotate and is a PITA on an EQ mount! Still no rush now!

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron could you stick a link on for the mod would like to take a look at it

Cheers

Thanks Ron have just bought a ED80 tonight and have come across the focuser issues so will do mod when fit the auto focuser

Cheers Allan

• 1 month later...

I am shopping around for an upgrade to the ED80 original fitted focuser. I also wanted to get a dedicated ED80 reducer/flattener as well for wide field shots.

I have found out that neither the Moolite or the SW upgrade has provision for one of these and although maybe the Baader Steeltrack does they are just not available at the moment! Do I really need the flattener/reducer? Not so sure but I do know I want to upgrade the focuser!! Decisions deccisions!!  :wacko:

Although this might be the answer?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-field-flattener.html

Edited by Ron Clarke

Going to RVO's tomorrow to look at some focusers, so that adaptor could be used with a Moonlite as well??

Going to RVO's tomorrow to look at some focusers, so that adaptor could be used with a Moonlite as well??

Well if you see one you fancy Ron you know someone who can soon make an adapter to get it to fit on the back of the ED 80. ;) ;)

Guest Kheldar

Well if you see one you fancy Ron you know someone who can soon make an adapter to get it to fit on the back of the ED 80. ;) ;)

It already fits graham, Rons problem is the other side :)

'On the other side' sounds omonous!!

(By the way Stephen, got enough funds if I do like the Moonlite!)

Guest Kheldar

Nothing ominous about it :)

Moonlite comes with ed80 flange - check

Reducer comes with custom SW thread

SW thread to 2" nosepiece = compatible with every focuser, not just the SW one :)

OK, I will check it out tomorrow, promise!

May have to wait awhile for the Flatt/red and adaptor though!  ;)