• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

first light jupiter with C11

Ibbo

picked up a C11 yesterday along with anEQ6.

The scope was quickly put on the njp mount and at about 1-30 it cleared

I had the imaging kit to hand managed these

not too bad considering the seeing and I was about 2 metres from the screen while focusing

L

f99d52f36901e9a28f8f623bd5d38e30.620x0_q

RGB colour

b56f8b96fed8cd74092bd5edafd2ad82.1824x0_

it clouded over for  a bit then cleared and i grabbed the bino views and had a look :o :o  at Jupiter, the moon :nonono: (even more shocked) and Mars

Views of Jupiter were a bit turbulent but had good moments and some good detail was visible.

To say the moon was bright is a bit of any understatement and I did spend about 30 mins slewing over the surface.

Mars was up next and I was very impressed at the detail and if I waited for those moments of good seeing very impressed. Surface features and the polar cap very evident.

I am disgusted with myself as the 6 has been untouched but bearings for the worms will be ordered later a strip down ,clean and re grease will be done when they arrive

Edited by Ibbo

Congratulations. Nice first images.

When i first looked through the C11 at the moon i was blown away; i was using an 8mm EP and the surface detail i could see was amazing; i just wanted even mote magnification but didn't have a shorter fl EP.

I'm glad you ae not disapointed. Looking forwards to seeing lots more images and reports :)

Jd

thanks folks

When i first looked through the C11 at the moon i was blown away; i was using an 8mm EP and the surface detail i could see was amazing; i just wanted even mote magnification but didn't have a shorter fl EP.

I'm glad you ae not disapointed. Looking forwards to seeing lots more images and reports :)

Jd

I don't know about reports

I was using cheap 19mm e/p in the bino viewers and the views were great, if you have not tried bino viewers I recommend them

my problem is I only have one pair of eyepieces

I need to borrow an e/p or 2 to match some of mine to give test which suit me

I've never looked through binoviewers. I'd be interested to at some stage. I hadn't thought about the technical difficulties or working out what pairs of eye pieces would be good to buy for this purpose, i suspect there are lots of considerations like the eye relief, actual fov (pointless being too wide i'd have thought)... Can you alter the focus on each eye piece as you can with binoculars as my eyes are different.

Jd