• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DSLR - CCD or CMOS?

Guest Jmz

Hi,

I'm considering picking up an older used DSLR and have seen that some have CCDs rather than the newer CMOS sensors. This is primarily going to be used for non-astro messing around but I would love to stick one on my scope at some point. I'm on a tight budget again, so it really is a question of one of the last CCD DSLRs or a very slightly newer CMOS. When I stick it on my scope, my primary interest would be the Moon and planets. All that I have read so far points me towards a newer CMOS.

Does anyone have any experience or advice with the two types of sensor, from an astronomical point of view?

It is highly likely that I am over-thinking this, I seem to enjoy being indecisive  :rolleyes:

Thanks for your time,

James

Guest Kheldar

I think you're possibly over thinking it - in my limited knowledge I thought most if not all DSLR's were CMOS.

If you're on a budget consider the usual Canon options of 450D, 1100D - cheap (you can go older and cheaper if you really want,) decent and good for astro too.

For planetary don't get a DSLR, get a webcam :)

I think for messing about with astro imaging, the CMOS / CCD debate, per se, is unimportant, as other factors will likely be more influential (tracking, light pollution, etc).... Newer cameras may have less noisey sensors, which may be semi-important, and newer ones may allow use of higher ISO settings with less moise than the older cameras, but as said above, I suspect you are over thinking this.

I have a Canon 1000D 'spare' but I've just agreed to lend this to someone else, else you could have had a go with that.

James

cheap astro photography have had some good press, there was a modded 1100d on astro buy and sell for £220 or near offer

Edited by red dwalf

He's seems very reasonable on the filter removal mod - but what does "re-shim the light train" or "re-shim the sensor" actually mean? Sounds ominous to me......

He's seems very reasonable on the filter removal mod - but what does "re-shim the light train" or "re-shim the sensor" actually mean? Sounds ominous to me......

Not sure what it actually involves but seem to be to allow keeping the autofocus and focus to infinity. 

I did contact them to see if the mod + re-shim could be done to my 400D.  I got a rapid email response saying that he had never worked on the 400D (only 450D and newer) so couldn't guarantee autofocus.  

The cost of modding my exisiting camera would have been about £135 compared to around £200 for a modified and 'shimmed' 1000D

There is another company here offering similar mods + shim -  again, no real explanation of what they actually do to the camera:  http://astrospectrumdslrs.weebly.com/the-modification.html

Al

Why not? CWB fixes the mod, then it's ready for later astro use :)

- Can't use auto focus; but maybe there is a fix to that suggested above.

- need to buy filters to use in day time (cost).

- need to pay for mod or factor this in when buying a modded dslr second hand

- if only doing rough and ready astro inaging, do the above hassles / costs outweigh the benefits of the sensor revieving a bit more hydrogen alpha (which not all targets emit anyway).

Jd

Do what I did, got 1100d unmodded new (low price offer!) AND a 1000d modded which was £99 S/H off Ebay((+ modding)! Both camps covered! :)

Edited by Ron Clarke

I think for messing about with astro imaging, the CMOS / CCD debate, per se, is unimportant, as other factors will likely be more influential (tracking, light pollution, etc).... Newer cameras may have less noisey sensors, which may be semi-important, and newer ones may allow use of higher ISO settings with less moise than the older cameras, but as said above, I suspect you are over thinking this.

This is pretty much exactly what I was wondering, thank you :)

Thanks everyone for the advice on modded and unmodded, I hadn't even thought about trying a modded DSLR. Plenty to think about, but now at least my thoughts are aligned in the right direction! My primary use would be non-astro so it must remain functional for that. I will certainly consider and research the modded route, but that is possibly something for the future.

Thanks everyone for your contributions, I'm a total newbie so every post is appreciated! :)

Edit:

AND a 1000d modded which was £99 S/H off Ebay((+ modding)!

Wow, this sounds incredibly tempting! Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Jmz

If you want to concentrate on moon and planets-webcam/budget planetary cam is my personal recommendation

Guest Kheldar

- Can't use auto focus; but maybe there is a fix to that suggested above.

- need to buy filters to use in day time (cost).

- need to pay for mod or factor this in when buying a modded dslr second hand

- if only doing rough and ready astro inaging, do the above hassles / costs outweigh the benefits of the sensor revieving a bit more hydrogen alpha (which not all targets emit anyway).

Jd

- Depends on how the mod has been done, shim or replacement glass means the auto focus works

- That's not correct, setting a custom white balance on the camera (which is then saved as a preset) fixes a modified camera for daytime use

- We were discussing s/h pre modified cameras, which typically (450D/1000D) can be purchased for the same S/H price as unmodified ones

- What hassles/cost :)

Each to their own however, think we're on different sides of the fence on this one :lol:

Guest Kheldar

My modded 1100D was cheaper than most unmodded ones on ABS!

How do I save the CWB as preset?

RT*M ;) In all seriousness it differs from camera to camera - however in short once you've set it, you should be able to save it :)

Edited by Kheldar

Ideally you want to take a shot of an 18% grey card to get your balance. Maybe there is someone on here that has one?

Guest ecopley

I changed the filters in a second hand 450d without much trouble. It's not hard to do but you do need a little confidence. I didn't know about the autofocus issue so I didn't feel with it but, clearly, my scope wouldn't auto focus anyway.

The only thing I would do different is that I'd try to get a camera with an articulated screen like my day time 600d.

If you are wondering what to do I'd suggest giving that factor reasonable weight in your choices. I'd pay more for a camera I had to mod myself to gain the articulation of the screen.

Whatever you choose, have fun!