• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help with guiding set up.

oldfruit

I hope someone can assist me in finding where I am going wrong.

I have an NEQ6, ED80, finder guider using an ASI 120MM camera with usb connection. I have followed Gliders excellent guide to guiding and have opted for the serial guiding route plugging from the laptop to the mount hand set and the camera straight into the laptop. I have downloaded all the software listed in the guide.  I have followed the guide twice now and when I get to the part where I enter the scope and site values near the end of part 2 of the guide, I click ok and an error message comes up "Ascom driver does not support the needed pulse guide method"

Does anyone have any idea where I am going wrong?

Thanks,

Mark.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldfruit

• RonC

• Graham

• glider

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he's either got it working OK or he's given up and gone in !!!

Can be frustrating to say the least!!

Sorry for the delay, I am using the Celestron driver.

Why are you using a Celestron driver on an NEQ 6 ???

I think I maybe used the wrong cables? I have a cable that came with the mount. A eq mod cable. It looks like a USB rs232 cable so I used it. Was this the wrong thing to use and will I need to purchase a USB rs232 cable?

I am just following the instructions and recommendations in Gliders tutorial.

Just been reading it  Mark.

Not too sure if the latest firmware on the NEQ6  will work with the Celestron driver.

Mind computers are not my thing so I am probably wrong. :facepalm:

I think I maybe used the wrong cables? I have a cable that came with the mount. A eq mod cable. It looks like a USB rs232 cable so I used it. Was this the wrong thing to use and will I need to purchase a USB rs232 cable?

So you are not using your handset then ??

If you are not using the handset then I do not think the Celestron driver will work.

If you are using an EQ direct lead then I would say you need to be running EQMOD

Edited by Graham

Hmmm.... Surely you ought to be using the Skywatcher driver - unless something changed radically since Noel showed me how to do this. I wouldn't mix up different suppliers software. Asking for trouble imho. You may be able to get the correct drivers from the Ascom site - otherwise use the SW site.  :)

But Gliders guide said to use the Celestron driver for sky watcher mounts. I am trying serial guiding which goes from laptop to handset and guide camera to laptop. Basically I have done everything as advised in Gliders guide.

Hmmm - ok - Noel knows what he's doing - so I'm sure it's still a sound procedure.

My only thought was that the latest SW software has been amalgamated to include AZ and EQ mounts in a single handset. Far as I know Celestron hasn't done this yet. I'd be tempted to just whip off a quick pm to Noel to confirm it though. :)

Mark you said earlier on you were using a USB to RS 232 lead which can only go straight from the laptop to the mount not the hand set.

To use the Celstron driver you have to go through the handset , this then converts the output signals to the pulses needed to drive the stepper motors.

EG - Laptop ---- handset ----- mount.

Laptop   Out   USB ---------- RJ45 Handset  RJ45 -------------- Rs232 Mount

in

USB

I

I

I-------------------- Camera

If I have got the wrong end of the stick here just shoot me. :)

Edited by Graham

Thanks for your responses guys. Graham, the usb to rs232 cable connects to the cable that you use to update the handset which is then connected to the hand set. Maybe I have not explained myself very well? :wacko:

So laptop --usb/ rs232 cable connected to handset update cable, then connected to handset.

Hi Mark.

I think you might find the update cable is wired differently to a normal cable.

Noel should be able to confirm this. :)

Guest Kheldar

I think you are mixing two methodologies here Mark

Using the update cable is correct as per Noels guide, however using the EQDir cable I believe is not

I rather suspect the EQDir is not wired up as a regular RS232 to USB is - the EQDir is for doing the EQDir method (no handset)

I stand to be corrected :)

Edited by Kheldar

Thanks Stephen, I suspect you may be correct. My inexperience in guiding and imaging in general is showing well. :facepalm:

Guest Kheldar

Thanks Stephen, I suspect you may be correct. My inexperience in guiding and imaging in general is showing well. :facepalm:

We all start somewhere :) Anyone local have a decent RS232 to USB cable you can borrow before shelling out?

Worst case I can lend you mine - let me know?

Edited by Kheldar

I have purchased a cheap one and hope it will work ok, only a couple of quid, but many thanks for the kind offer Stephen.

Edited by oldfruit

Guest Kheldar

I have purchased a cheap one and hope it will work ok, only a couple of quid, but many thanks for the kind offer Stephen.

I will keep my fingers crossed, cheap ones have a reputation I'm afraid ... my offer stands if you need it :)

Appreciated, though If I need to I will buy a decent one, maplins do one for about £14.

If  you're going to Paul's starparty tomorrow, I can lend you a NEW USB-EQ Direct cable and get it off you at BF next week if that would help??