• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Yessssssssssssss The Poached egg has landed - Saturn

stash

Finally got to see Saturn (The poached egg as I call it) . Great view from both Dob and Bresser using Barlow 3x and UWA 2.5  Plus a number of moons - magic.

Thought Jupiter was good but although the detail is more defined on Jupiter (for me!) the rings just blow you away.

That was with the moon glare as well !!!!!!

Mars was a bit disappointing but it was certainly red/brown.

Pity I couldn't take a picture to remember that first sighting.

Saw some other stuff but I must learn the stars etc.

Great night even though me feet are numb!!!!!

I agree with Steve, it's etched into your memory now, and that keeps you going when the weather is rubbish.

Nice one Clive!

Good clear night here wasn't it Clive, some high floaty cloud earlier on then clear as a bell! Didn't stay out late to see Saturn and Mar's but enjoyed Orion and Jupiter and the Pliades (M45) then spent time with the 32mm Panaview just 'looking' around the sky! I still remember my first views of Saturn about 3 years ago when I started!

Cheers

Ron

Saturn's always a jaw dropper first time - and I love going back to it time and again. As Steve says - you'll never forget it - one of the most beautiful sights in the whole of the night sky. Nice one Clive! :thumbsup:

Yes, i think saturn is a first for many people. I was 10 or so i think. I keep meaning to look back to see what orientation the rings where at that time.

Wait till you see some globular clusters from a dark site through a big scope :)

Jd

Mars was a bit disappointing but it was certainly red/brown.

Mars is at opposition around the 8th April, so for the months / weeks either side of that date Mars will look good.

2 years ago I saw the polar ice caps on Mars with my 8" up at Belper with some fantastic surface detail as well.

Get Mars while you can, as it wont be this good again for another 2 years (ish).

It's a great sight every time!

I think I might have an 'early' night tonight and get up at about 4.30 or so, as there is hopefully going to be a clear patch until sunrise, so I will be able to look at Mars/Saturn and also Venus rising.