• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Early morning 21.02.2014

dawson

Woke up early and looked out of the window and it was mostly clear, so stepped into the back garden whilst the kettle was boiling.

Waning moon in the south west lighting up the sky, and a clearly red object further to its west (Mars) and a less impressive Saturn to its east. But an immensely bright Venus just above my horizon to the south east, looked like a plane heading straight for me; not sure what magnitude but far greater than Jupiter. Looked at Venus with binoculars but was just a big bright spot of light.

Looking to the north east, three first order magnitude stars forming a large triangular shape pointing towards the horizon.... Vega, Deneb and Altair (with its two companions).... The summer triangle! It only seems like yesterday this was high in the sky in the early evening.

These seasons change so quickly.

Jd

in was just going to do a write up of the same thing James, Mars was very red and easy to spot, was a nice Moon also then Saturn and i believe Pluto was there in between Saturn and Venus, i too thought it was a plane coming into the airport until i realised it wasn't moving, typical evening, lovely and clear when i`m working nights !

Did anyone see the waning moon last night around midnight just coming up in the south east. It was huge with a strong tinge of pink as it sat low on the horizon magnified by the atmosphere. Beautiful site at 3/4 illuminated and not too bright. :)

I too am enjoying the clear mornings over the last 2 days, Saturn, Mars, Venus and the moon, awesome sight.

Did anyone see the waning moon last night around midnight just coming up in the south east. It was huge with a strong tinge of pink as it sat low on the horizon magnified by the atmosphere. Beautiful site at 3/4 illuminated and not too bright. :)

Yes Kim I did and the contrast it gave was brilliant - at one stage it reminded me,while looking thru the scope, of the view from Apollo 11 (Eagle) when coming into land.  Did you take any pictures ? 

Guess it will be the same tonight as you "know what" says repeat clear conditions.

I'm not really an imager Clive - Di's the one who does all that stuff - I just set it up for her cos she doesn't do "technical" lol.

I was only outside having a last smoke before bed when I saw it - but I may be tempted to get a light scope set up tonight if the weather holds - my backs a bit feeble at the moment. :)