• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Two of life's mysteries

1. Why do people clap out of time to music when it's played live?

2. When a musician sings/plays an excerpt from another (usually with no connection to the music they are playing), people applaud?

Why does anyone applaud acts on the X-Factor/Britain's Got Talent (allegedly)/etc...

Alan

If you are watching TV/video footage from a concert say, the audio feed will probably be direct from the mixing desk, so that shots of the band look in sync. Sound in air travels at roughly 330 m/s. Pan into the crowd standing only a 100 metres back and they are 1/3 second out of sync with the band.

Two biggest mysteries to my mind are women and mother in laws, and no, the two are not the same, mother in laws are a whole new species :D

Does anyone want it removed and the OP warned for posting daft subjects? :lol:

What the thread removed Kim ???? no its fun to read these I don't believe I'm reading this thread again :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

Thread removed? Don't be a spoilsport!

We need a good laugh when we get home from work!

I was kidding Caz :lol:

(I like a laugh too)

I thought the idea of this section was to post things other than astronomy. Yes we all know that we only know what 4% of the universe is, etc, etc. Leigh's answer is very good and then there must also be the fact that not all of the audience is at the same distance. Never thought of that. I just assumed, like me, that a high percentage of people cannot clap in time. I can't and I cannot sing in tune either.

As for mothers in law, I'm very fond of mine but don't get to see her very often as she lives 8 000 miles away. Interesting enough she is legally old enough to be my mum but only by a few months. This will probably spark a few answers like people who have an auntie younger than themselves and yes, I do.

Guest ecopley

I do know a guy, who through a strange sequence of marriages, divorced and a very unfortunate death, became his own step-father. Don't ask...

I do know a guy, who through a strange sequence of marriages, divorced and a very unfortunate death, became his own step-father. Don't ask...

You can't say that and not expect me to ask :lol:

I knew a lad who started seeing an older woman, he ended up being step dad to a girl older than himself :lol:

ecopley, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:24, said:

Reminds me of this song:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw&feature=kp

Edited by TasKiNG

sounds like just another day in Norfolk :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was it the same Ray Stevens of "Bridget the Midget" fame?

Yea, thats the same Ray Stevens. He is also famous for "Misty" & "The streak"