• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

4000 tic encoders. Why?

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

I know little about encoders.  Have just seen a a pair on ABS rated at 4000 tics per rev.

Now dividing this number by 360 degrees doesn't give a nice round number that I expected.

It's 4000/360 = 11.11111 recurring !!

So why not a nice round number, say like 10 giving 3600 tics per rev? Why 4000?

It's usually down to accuracy and tracking stars and arc seconds 'n' stuff (forgive the technical explanation lol).

But 11 and a bit ticks is gonna be more accurate than 10. :)

Guest peepshow

Yes,  but 11.111 recurring doesn't seem to have any relationship with degrees/minutes/seconds of a circle nor with

RA time values.   ( 24 hours/60 mins/60 secs)

I'm not saying that's correct but it does seem to fit in. I found this -

"The process of resolving each encoder cycle into four parts (as described above) is called quadrature, and one quarter-cycle is called a tic. The number of tics-per-revolution is equal to four times the number of cycles-per-revolution. Encoder manufacturers commonly express their encoder resolutions in cycles-per-revolution, but the astronomical community most commonly uses tics-per-revolution."

I'm not saying that's correct but it does seem to fit in. I found this -

"The process of resolving each encoder cycle into four parts (as described above) is called quadrature, and one quarter-cycle is called a tic. The number of tics-per-revolution is equal to four times the number of cycles-per-revolution. Encoder manufacturers commonly express their encoder resolutions in cycles-per-revolution, but the astronomical community most commonly uses tics-per-revolution."

It also fits very nicely into the Steps of a stepper motor they work in 4's as well.

That'll make the tech specs in my AZEQ6GT manual more meaningful Leigh - I can plan that into image scale, pixel tracking, and binning, whatever the heck I'm on about. :lol: