• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First views with my sons first scope

Guest peter shah

Guest peter shah

I took a trip down to Orion Optics today and put together my sons first scope....(to be honest its just as much for me as him). Its a custom 150mm f/10.3 .......spent some time collimating it using the catseye and got it perfect. To my amazement the skies cleared. The scope had been outside long enough to cool down nicely. I pointed it at Jupiter and....Wow! it nearly poked out my eye!!! The views were the sharpest I've seen through any scope, Even with a cheap 9mm EP the detail was stunning. I  scanned around the sky for a while took a look at the usual stuff. The views are simply jaw dropping pin sharp and dare I say Apo like performance. To say I'm pleased would be an understatement. 

Its a planet killer for sure....cant wait for Saturn, mars and the Moon....lets hope the skies hold out.

BTW my son is six years old, I was the same age when I started but I never had anything like this for my first scope.

cheers

Peter

post-4526-0-46524200-1393011503.jpg

Nice one Peter, you cannot beat a high f number for detailed planetary views, very forgiving on eyepieces. Its nice to see a long fl newt for a change, gone out of fashion along with long fl refractors I suppose, folks want short tubed scopes these days

Guest peter shah

Nice one Peter, you cannot beat a high f number for detailed planetary views, very forgiving on eyepieces. Its nice to see a long fl newt for a change, gone out of fashion along with long fl refractors I suppose, folks want short tubed scopes these days

You are not wrong....fast scope for wide field imaging deep sky is perfect, but planets you cant beat a long slow tanker...plus there is virtually no coma and the central obstruction is tiny so contrast is amazing

Like the look of that one Peter...

The mount looks really solid.

Nice that you are impressed with it as you cannot exactly try it properly in the shop.

Looks like you live in a nice rural area with dark skies...

Enjoy,

Ade

"Its a custom 150mm f/10.3"

Looks smashing Peter - when you say "custom" - do you mean you had it made to order? If so what sort of specs/mods did you ask for? :)

Nice........

I aim to do something similar with my son, currently trying to persuade the wife to let me get another scope even though he is only 4, after all, he keeps asking for one.....

A good looking scope there Pete. Have you informed your son it's his yet, or maybe just waiting for the right moment. I suppose it's got to be right before he get's it eh! :D

Guest peter shah

"Its a custom 150mm f/10.3"

Looks smashing Peter - when you say "custom" - do you mean you had it made to order? If so what sort of specs/mods did you ask for? :)

I know them well at the factory and I wanted something special for my boy....I decided that a good planetary scope would be best for him to start with...so I was looking at an SCT but decided on a long Newt because on axis there is nothing that will out perform one....They don't do a 6inch longer than f/8 I wanted at least f/10 or longer so I had a word with John...I also had it on a pedestal instead of a tripod so I could get the clearance for the longer tube and an thicker wall on the tube.....and the optics had to be good and I know Orion Optics make some of the finest mirrors out there. I actually put the scope together at the factory and did the testing.

Like the look of that one Peter...

The mount looks really solid.

Nice that you are impressed with it as you cannot exactly try it properly in the shop.

Looks like you live in a nice rural area with dark skies...

Enjoy,

Ade

Hi Ade, Ive looked through a lot of scope over the years so I have a pretty good idea of what sort of performance you would get out of a style of scope. So in theory I knew what I was getting....Knowing the staff very well at Orion Optics I know how and what care they take over making their mirrors and there isn't many companies that will give you a test report on your mirror.....I understand the testing process and what makes a good mirror so it really wasn't that much of a gamble....but still a surprise to see how good it performed.

As for my skies it would be a crime not to have a scope...or two!....it is almost as dark as it gets here.

Nice........

I aim to do something similar with my son, currently trying to persuade the wife to let me get another scope even though he is only 4, after all, he keeps asking for one.....

Daz just don't tell her ;-) besides if you cant spoil your son and it would be cruel not to get him one especially after he has asked for one. ;)

A good looking scope there Pete. Have you informed your son it's his yet, or maybe just waiting for the right moment. I suppose it's got to be right before he get's it eh! :D

He knows its his...but he also knows he must be supervised by me at all times ;)

Edited by peter shah

Guest Tweedledum

Thats a bit different from my first scope when I was  a kid, the usual 60mm refractor but a decent one, and with dark skies in north wales! Looks like you also have a great location Pete, on a hill & no flooding!!:

Enjoy it both.

Very nice.

I remember when all newtonians used to look like that. F8 or F10. Then they started coming out with a funny looking F6 short tube! :)

"I actually put the scope together at the factory and did the testing"

You lucky thing - I'll bet a lot of folks would be jealous of getting that kinda access to manufacturers. Did you test the mirrors in detail? (e.g. ronchi test). Wouldn't mind hearing about that if you have time. :)

Btw - will you be participating at the IAS again?

Guest peter shah

"I actually put the scope together at the factory and did the testing"

You lucky thing - I'll bet a lot of folks would be jealous of getting that kinda access to manufacturers. Did you test the mirrors in detail? (e.g. ronchi test). Wouldn't mind hearing about that if you have time. :)

Btw - will you be participating at the IAS again?

I help Orion Optics with some of their development....I had a big part to play with AG series and help out with a few other bits and bobs too.

I Ronchi tested the mirror and then again when the scope was complete.....it gave nice lines. I also did a artificial star test....to be honest I new then it was going to give a nice image....but it didn't still prepare me for the views Jupiter I had that evening. The zygo test I left to the optics wizard Rich who figured it for me. When they do the figuring and testing of the mirrors they have to wait until the glass temperature has stabilised enough, depending on the size of the mirror its normally a day or two between figuring and testing....but all the mirrors and testing are made in a temperature controlled environment to minimise any expansion of the surfaces.  When they test the mirror its rotated and tested many times and they take the average....the strehl tells you if you have a good mirror and the PV wave front tells you the maximum errors.  For instance you might have a mirror that has a PV of 1/6th wave front but it might be a tiny portion of the mirror that knocks it down; The majority might be 1/10th PV or higher with only a very small percentage being below at 1/6.....so the strehl give you a better idea of how good the mirror is.....I'm know expert but I do know what to look for ;-)

I will probably be helping out on the Orion Optics stand this year IAS....just to help anyone who wants to know about imaging set up's and what they might need to think about.....not as a sales man....just to help with a more informed choice.

id post a picture of the test report if I knew how to upload a file....I normally add a link to the URL

This was made for the Discovery Channel for 'How its Made' at the old factory you see a brief testing but not really in a lot of detail (the testing room in the factory is a lot nicer now).......BTW it was my shot of the Orion area they used ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X6tNJpJY_A

Edited by peter shah

Great stuff Peter - thanks for that - it's given me as few ideas about checking the optics on my scopes. I'll drop over for a few imaging tips at the show - I'm bound to need some by then lol. Are these "ronchi test" eyepieces any good would you know?

http://www.365astronomy.com/ronchi-eyepiece-10lmm-for-visual-testing-p-3430.html

I have an interferogram from one of my scopes but have never been able to translate it into something I understand - so I'm keen to know exactly what I spent my money on lol. :)

Wow Pete! You're an awesome dad! That looks like a beaut of a scope! I would love to do my planetary imaging through something like that! I will drop by and have a chat at the IAS-we can catch up and discuss two awesome subjects; astro and skydiving :D

Guest peter shah

Great stuff Peter - thanks for that - it's given me as few ideas about checking the optics on my scopes. I'll drop over for a few imaging tips at the show - I'm bound to need some by then lol. Are these "ronchi test" eyepieces any good would you know?

http://www.365astronomy.com/ronchi-eyepiece-10lmm-for-visual-testing-p-3430.html

I have an interferogram from one of my scopes but have never been able to translate it into something I understand - so I'm keen to know exactly what I spent my money on lol. :)

Looks good to me...but I'm really no expert Kim

Wow Pete! You're an awesome dad! That looks like a beaut of a scope! I would love to do my planetary imaging through something like that! I will drop by and have a chat at the IAS-we can catch up and discuss two awesome subjects; astro and skydiving :D

yeah drop in (no pun intended) it'll be good to meet up.

Lovely looking scope Peter.......

Its a shame OO discontinued the 150mm F/11 ( and the 200mm F/8 ) 

They are both sought after scopes now, and i'd snap one up  if a used one came up for sale.