• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Badges!

RonC

It might be my age, so go gently!

At all the various meetings I've been too over the last 2 years or so I've struggled with the identity of other astronomers and forum members. I know about 15-20 faces and names but only because I see them regularly at meetings etc. But I'm worried that if other people are in the same boat as me a 'clique' mentality will emerge where we only converse with the people we know. I may be over stating this but I think the only way around this is for people to have their identity on show, ie: a badge! I would love to see somebody I don't know but whose photo's I like and walk up to them and tell them so, but how can I if i don't know who they are??

Food for thought or discussion??

Cheers

Ron

I like the suggestion Ron - but I know opinion is divided. I'd love for folks to walk up to me and say how much they like me lol :lol:

(I like it cos I'm a dozy old git who forgets names too easily)

Not so daft Ron...

As a radio ham who has been to and help organise rallies many of us have call sign badges with our first name.

This helps identify others you have talked to many times but not seen but also generally helps socially.

With EMS there are now many I know and exchanged posts with but few I would recognise at a meet.

Ade

PS hence the mugshot on my posts....

I like the idea, simple format username from the forum and first name underneath. It would definitely make it easier for people who are newer to feel able to come and have a chat :)

I like the suggestion Ron - but I know opinion is divided. I'd love for folks to walk up to me and say how much they like me lol :lol:

(I like it cos I'm a dozy old git who forgets names too easily)

Me too - senior name moments / old git syndrome

Good comment errrrr... Jim

Sorry Kim

Ade

we had some badges made up at EMS1 but for now i forget who made them, i`ve still got my badge and do wear it a starpartys, especially Keliing.

not had anyone congratulate my on my images though L.O.L.

had a few people try to help with them or tell me to do visual astronomy instead.

Good answers, what do the Mod's think?? (we know what Kim thinks!)? It would be a voluntary thing so opting out would be OK?

(Adrian, I'm G0IBI by the way!)

Still room for discussion (glad it's not just me!)

Ron

Good answers, what do the Mod's think?? (we know what Kim thinks!)? It would be a voluntary thing so opting out would be OK?

(Adrian, I'm G0IBI by the way!)

Still room for discussion (glad it's not just me!)

Ron

I'm G6MJQ Ron. 73's

Adrian

We have tried it and with mixed results and feelings. I personally don't like them as it makes us look a bit nerdy to outsiders, plus in the dark they really aren't that great. Shining a red light at somebody and going right up to read the is actually quite embarrassing for both parties. If you want to put a name badge on though feel free :)

I also think name badges can actually make things worse. It takes away the need for the icebreaker question / interaction of "Ayup, I'm Mike, who are you?" I struggle with opening lines, so taking that one away kind of makes it more difficult in my opinion.

What we do have now for public events are Member and Staff badges so that visitors can spot who we are.

It's the icebreaker that I would like taken away Mike, and I don't know anybody in the fark anyway! :) As for looking 'nerdy' I think having a scope kind of indicates a state of 'nerdinous' anyway?

Ron

I still have my name badge from EMS1, I have worn it a few times but not recently.

Pros and cons really as mentioned above.

As I followed the "Prisoner" series (sad I know) I am not a number and I don't need a name badge but for those who do I have no problem with them having badges, 

People just need to remember the older generation(25+ :D ) go into rooms and when they get there they forget why - ermmm - what was I thinking forgot what the thread is about Doh! :D

The common denominator is we all like Astro!

I don't think they look nerdy if they're worn the right way. A name badge pinned to your shirt is a bit formal and I often think it looks nerdy, but a name badge worn on a swish lanyard around the neck can be a good way to identify people and they can personalise the lanyard to suit them. For example, I'd probably use this one:

2009.11.09_14.19.32_Lanyard_D_F500.jpg

This allows easy identification but members can tailor it to suit their tastes and personality. The more members who wear it the more it becomes the norm, and less nerdy.

I think it's important to identify staff, and members who are taking part in events, just so if something does go wrong then the public have a point of contact. Such as first aid etc.

Other than that, do what you feel like doing, it's a free country. :)

Edit. I can see why Craig likes that one! :lol:

I'm with Craig I would wear my skydiving specific lanyards. It's a nice way of De-formalising (not a word!) something more formal and facilitating communication. I think it all depends on your personality-some people may not be comfortable/confident going up and asking who someone is but may have conversed at length with an individual on the forum and if they see their forum name on the badge can then say "xxxxx I'm xxxx" etc.

Edit. I can see why Craig likes that one! :lol:

It's a Rammstein lanyard, 'nuff said.  :rockon:

some people may not be comfortable/confident going up and asking who someone is but may have conversed at length with an individual on the forum and if they see their forum name on the badge can then say "xxxxx I'm xxxx" etc.

I've been somewhat absent from meets for quite a while so it was quite daunting at SGL2014 seeing so many EMS members I just didn't know! Name badges were a good help.

No its a good idea to have name badges I can confirm that I'm bad with names and I hate having to call someone by their forum name as I can't remember their given name. I also find I do gravitate to people whose name I already know, I'm really bad remembering names and yes it s does fill like a bit of a click so I'm for name tags

When we meet up most of the time is for meets in the cricket hut etc so its light (if not that warm) you can  build up a better bound with fellow members thus enabling when conversing on the forum to remember who they where etc.

I feel this would be help to new members too and stop it feeling like a bit of a click. It would be interesting to work out how many people have come around to a quarterly meet been on the site for a few months and then given up because of not know whos who and the possible click caused.

Please don't shoot the messenger its only my opinion

FWIW I don't think there is a clique here. I've been on forums where this has become a problem and it soon escalates. We'd have known about it by now.

When I said clique it was in inverted comma's, more like 'huddles' of friends. Which is normal but excludes folk who don't know anyone but does'nt want to 'butt in' on a conversation. It may be an age thing I don't know (not that Allen is old!) and I agree that staff and mods etc are 'badged' as such for the reasons martyn gave.

More discussion?

Oh I wasn't responding as I thought somebody thought there was a 'clique' here, just stating that I hadn't seen any evidence of one myself. :)

and mods etc are 'badged' as such for the reasons martyn gave.

That's cos we is special! :lol:

I think everyone on here makes an effort to include and talk to new members, that's the way this forum works. It is something which reflects the personality of the forum, and it's generous members.

I keep thinking about getting a tee shirt with ems red dwalf on the back, trouble is it night have to be a big one to fit over my coat as its always cold when we are stargazing

So do we think its a good idea or bad  idea name badges? :wacko:

think  next meet I'll get some labels and when you're not looking stick your names and forum names on your back tee hee!!!  well it'll help me!! and your names may stick in my memory after the odd thump or smack  I get your sticking labels on EMS members :P   (thanks Ron I do feeling old :unsure: must be old enjoyed the bingo last night :blush:  eh Rob Noel ) :D