• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hard Drive Cloning

catman161

I will check it tomorrow Clive and yes my Laptop has a CD/DVD drive. Thanks for your offer Ed I am sure I will be able to sort it-like I said though I couldn't do it without your help, so thanks very much ( especially to you Clive :) )

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catman161

• stash

• Toymaster

• Daz Type-R

If you have a CD/DVD then that will help sort out the problem.

I am tiling my Kitchen floor at the moment so I will look in between throwing tiles at the wall.

Hint    create Paragon Recovery Environment CD (Linux version( then boot from CD and you should be able to copy the image from 400GB to 360GB.  

No problem me helping you - pay back time for Astro hints (not just yours !) speak 2morrow. Dam where are those promised clear skies tonight ?

HOORAY!! I have done it!! Big thank you to all that offered support and advice :)

It was a bot of a saga and thank you for putting up with my daft questions. Big thanks to Clive and Damian for giving me step by step instructions. I now have the 320GB drive in as 3 partitions C Drive, D Drive (Recovery) and F Drive ( where I will store all my planetary avis :) )

12795116034_c37b972312_o.jpg
Screengrab new drive by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Well I read the email from paragon more carefully and realised that I needed to download their separate software to create a boot media flash drive. Once I had done that, it all fell into place when obo ores from the flash drive and I could see my external drive so I copied the image from my original drive (now on the external drive) to my newly installed 320GB internal drive. I am thinking I may do it again and simply expand the size of the C drive rather than have a 150gb separate partition though-as there is no real need for it tone like that I don't think. Thanks again Clive :)

No problem glad its working ok - next time your will breeze thru it and its a lot less hassle than rebiulding from scratch when you don't need too - Felix expert cloner  :notworthy:

Guest Kheldar

No problem glad its working ok - next time your will breeze thru it and its a lot less hassle than rebiulding from scratch when you don't need too - Felix expert cloner  :notworthy:

It's Windows ... it will need re-installing in two weeks anyways :evil:

Well done Felix!

*strokes Macbook lovingly*

Well done Felix!

I will post you a virus now I know the hacks in Mac .  :D

Well done Felix!

Lol thanks Stephen :)

This is what I did

Put all your personal content into a folder and copy that to the new disk that has had a fresh install of the OS and any programs you use. Then copy in the personal folder.

Oh man I should have quit whilst I was ahead and just left the partitions as they were. So I decided to try and make it so that I jut had two partitions instead of three. So knowing that I had done it already I and thought I knew how to go about it now. I wiped the external hard drive of the image of the original internal and then cloned it again. I took out the original hard drive and put the also wiped 320GB one back in laptop and went through the process of trying to put the image of the original internal drive (which is on the 400gb external drive) back on to the 320gb one but with just two partitions (as opposed to the three in the picture above) and now it gets almost to the end of doing it in the paragon boot environment and just says "I/O" disk error". I have tried multiple things. Chen disk, system file checker, defragging all drives then cloning etc. I have tried doing it exactly as I had done it previously when I succeeded i.e. 3 partitions alas I just keep getting that same error message. WHY DID I HAVE TO TRY AND MESS WITH IT ONCE I HAD MANGED TO DO IT?!!! WHHHYYYY!!!!

Guest Tweedledum

Felix,

Have you taken a complete image of the 400Mb drive with all the empty space included?? If so and you are doing like for like, are you sure you are not trying to load 400Mb onto 320Mb.??

I refer you back to the first page, clean install of windows then reload apps and your data backup.

I have used Acronis True Image many times to change hard drives.

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/pc-backup?adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&matchtype=e&gclid=CJLHxMmA8bwCFekBwwoddncAmw

Will take a full image including patricians if required....

I know you have to pay for it but it has never failed and I also use it for incremental backups so you can restore back in time to when you did a complete reload or new computer.

Ade 

Hi Damian, I think that's what I may have done once then realised my error. Since then I have tried copying just the partitions one by one. The first time I tried this it said something about cross linked files. So I ran check disk and then checked the file system integrity using paragons boot time environment which just returned the volume has minor errors. So then tried again to copy the partitions one by one, this time there was no cross linked files error but this annoying I/O error.

Felix,

Are the other patricians important or just a restore of the system?  (Sorry if I've missed something in the thread)

If not then just make the drive a single partition and restore just C:

If you have used another partition for  data then it would take some messing to get things to work including reinstalling apps.

Hope it gets sorted OK. It just takes so long and that is why in my former life we always had standard loads for each make of PC in the company and when a user was in trouble we backed their local data, reformatted the drive, installed the standard load and reloaded their local data all from a script file.

Sorry if I'm being a smart ass after the event.....

Ade

The other partition is just the big standard HP recovery one Ade yes. But whilst trying to copy over the individual partitions that or copies fine but it's the image I the C drive that continuously keeps saying "I/O Disk Error" I just don't understand it as it wrote to the HDD before I tried to be clever and change it to two partitions instead of three. I wish I had just left it when I succeeded now.

Hi Felix,

It maybe that the HP recovery partition is the main boot partition and then it boots the 2nd partition (your new drive c) in which case the link maybe a fixed link and hence when you change the size/shape the link doesn't work.

Try this :

Do as you did originally when your cloned your 160gb BUT do not create the third partition. Test load the new drive so that boots ok. Then use the expand partition function on your c: partition to make it bigger. If your paragon software does do expand partition then use Windows disc manager to extend you partition (c:) into the free space 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771473.aspx 

Looks like your s/w does do resize partition after cloning - the sell that as a separate piece of s/w (partition Manager) :angry:

So its Dynamic disks via Windows Disk Manager , Look for a free partition resize s/w or go back to the system that worked.

Why did you want to change it when you had the cloned disk working? (you can alter the location properties of Windows Documents (so its on D:,E: drive etc) ,Sharp Cap capture location etc .

Edited by stash

Awesome thanks guys, currently I am taking the external (400GB) drive back to original state (re-formatted) and then will clone c drive (both partitions again) and try what you've suggested Clive. I don't know if the recovery partition is responsible for booting as when you look on it, it has just one file called HP recovery that is a clickable executable program to restore the computer. Once I have reformatted the external drive (it's currently still going) and the. Recloned my 160GB drive back on to it I will try what you have said Clive and report back. Thanks again :)

The other partition is just the big standard HP recovery one Ade yes. But whilst trying to copy over the individual partitions that or copies fine but it's the image I the C drive that continuously keeps saying "I/O Disk Error" I just don't understand it as it wrote to the HDD before I tried to be clever and change it to two partitions instead of three. I wish I had just left it when I succeeded now.

Only time I have failed to load an image was when the drive letter had changed and I had to tweek the backup to get it to load the partitain or not load a partition.

Just a thought...

Ade

Awesome thanks guys, currently I am taking the external (400GB) drive back to original state (re-formatted) and then will clone c drive (both partitions again) and try what you've suggested Clive. I don't know if the recovery partition is responsible for booting as when you look on it, it has just one file called HP recovery that is a clickable executable program to restore the computer. Once I have reformatted the external drive (it's currently still going) and the. Recloned my 160GB drive back on to it I will try what you have said Clive and report back. Thanks again :)

You can't see the MBR/Boot info without special s/w - its hidden - for good reason.

OK let us know how you get on - I am getting ready for ELincs night at BF so I will be in and out.  :)

Edited by stash

Another thought:

File system on the partitions can be different.

Main Being NTFS

Recovery drive being the old Dos FAT32  or something like that .. Depends on the age of the PC but have seen this.

Ade

Ade is correct that the partitions will be of different formats (i.e. fat(32) for recovery and NTFS for Win) but so long as you copy the recovery partition first (Fat limitation of size/pointers etc) then you will be ok (normally) - do not change its size best left as is.

I didn't ask but when do you actually get the "i/i error" during the copy or after when you try and boot from the new drive ?

Life some much fun  - went to start my Ranger and battery flat (its a large battery) sp had to reel out 30m of ext cable to garage (no elec) wonderful - hope someone gots jump lead going to BF tonight  :)

I get the error during the copy process of jst the c drive partition which I am doing first. Both the partitions c drive and recovery are NTFS should I change the recovery one to fat32 and copy that over first then?