• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hard Drive Cloning

catman161

I get the error during the copy process of jst the c drive partition which I am doing first. Both the partitions c drive and recovery are NTFS should I change the recovery one to fat32 and copy that over first then?

What was it originally Felix?

My laptop has both the recovery and main partition set to NTFS. Older ones may have the recovery partition set to FAT32.

My guess is to keep them the same and copy the recovery partition first.

Worth a try otherwise I'm out of ideas for now unless it is a setting for the backup / restore software. Does it have a log file that gives you more error detail.

Ha... You did do a full image and not a backup didn't you?  An image has the hidden boot sector that you require on the C: drive first before all the other stuff.

If you have not got that then the only way is to boot from the windows install CD and reload windows and see if it starts OK. Then reload software etc..

Good Luck

Adrian

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catman161

• stash

• Toymaster

• Daz Type-R

Felix,

Another thought...   What does the BIOS say regarding Booting.   C:  ??  After the CD drive etc...   If it is something else, which is unusual such as D: then there is a hidden boot sector on the recovery or other drive..

Ade

Hooray! I'm back in business with the 320GB drive :) In the M&S I just formatted the external 400GB USB drive and then cloned the original 160GB drive again onto the external 400GB drive and also formatted the flash drive and re-did the paragon boot drive media onto it and started the copy process if the clone onto the 320GB drive which now resides inside the laptop. I still have it as 3 partitions, C drive, D (recovery) drive and then the other spare 149GB as drive F (E is the DVD drive). I could try that thing that Clive said about extending the C drive using the disk management windows based took but to be honest the skies are going to be clear here tonight so I am not risking it again as id like to have a go at imaging Mars tonight and Jupiter's red spot will be central at just before 10pm so I am not gonna chance missing out on that Thanks again all for you all your help.

Glad you are back in business Felix...

Well done.

Adrian

Well it's not all plain sailing with the new hard drive. I don't know i it because it is a 5,400rpm drive or something else but if  click an icon or attempt to open a folder it takes an absolute age to open. If I try to click anything else in the interim the folder I have previously clicked on "stops responding" nut if I leave it for a couple of minutes it eventually self resolves and opens the folder. The weird thing is I am pretty sure the old 160GB drive was a 5,400rpm drive-I'll have to check. 

Drat, after all that effort Felix.

Guess you have done the obvious like checking the disk properties and running checkdisk.

I know there are different disk types but I guess it must be the same as it is using the same interface.

Hope someone has some ideas as I'm not really into recent disk types such as SATA etc..

Adrian

Hi Ade, yeah I have tried that :( will wait and see how it goes before doing anythin drastic. Is very very very slow though

Felix - bigger drives are slower (that's why enterprise class drives are not huge), however it should not take minutes to open anything up. You need to look in task manager to see what is holding things up.

Yeah it's ridiculously slow and as I said trying to open another folder/window jut freezes everything up for ridiculous amounts of time. Thanks Leigh I'll have a look.

Felix , when you did the cloning before did the pc behave the same - speed wise ?

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Felix,

Ignore the spin speed, although the speed increases and reduces latency, there are other things that contribute to the data rate coming off the drive. There is something fundamentally wrong if it is taking this time to load.

So take it to someone who can fix it properly, its really difficult to solve remotely without setting up a remote conx

Hi Guys,

I ran SFC and ckdsk again and it seems better-so touch wood all is now ok. Thanks again :) But lets just wait and see, as stephe said will probably need a fresh install in 2 weeks :D

That's alright he will need a new Mac thanks to the virus I sent him - just joking  :evil: