• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mount strip and clean

Ibbo

I picked up an EQ6 last week it needs adjusting so I thought I have the kit so strip and clean from the start

also replace worm bearings

Done the DEC axis

so far my thoughts are there could have been a bit more grease on the bearings apart from the odd flake of paint it looks OK so far

RA after dog walk and eats

Rebuild tomorrow :D

Nice work. What are your thoughts on wear and tear on the gears since it was lacking a little in grease? Guess I am wondering about stuff lime this in two ways; since I am on the lookout for a 2nd hand mount; and in terms of how often they should get some maintenance.

Hope you had a nice walk... bit windy around here!

Steve

I picked up an EQ6 last week it needs adjusting so I thought I have the kit so strip and clean from the start

also replace worm bearings

Done the DEC axis

so far my thoughts are there could have been a bit more grease on the bearings apart from the odd flake of paint it looks OK so far

RA after dog walk and eats

Rebuild tomorrow :D

Well Steve if you need any of the drive train gears I have a box full here from all the belt mods I have done. :2thumbsup:

Steve -not really seen any damage its just a case of running smoother Graham might have though as he has done a lot more mounts than me

Graham Thanks but I'm OK so far but may go for the belt mod later

Guest Dick-The-Druid

Steve, you really ought to leave well alone....... I bet it runs backwards!!! (or is that just me???)

What sort of grease you Used? When I stripped and re did my HEQ5 when i got it (cos it sounded like a bag o' spanners) I used a modified grease with Teflon... seems ok so far but not much use lately. (did try chip fat but every time I observed after 10 mins felt hungry)

DTD

Guest Dick-The-Druid

Bacon grease is good.....

Is the EQ back together and workin?? I am thinking of treating my EQ to some tlc and may be a run out in the garden tomorrow if the bright yellow thing is out...