• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader ha filter won`t fit Atik filter wheel

red dwalf

not knowing alot about filters i have just bought in good faith a Baader ha filter to go with my Astronomik LRGB filters, having noticed that the Baader filter is alittle taller than the Astronomik ones but didn`t think anything of it until i fitted it to the filter wheel cartridge, now the ha filter just catches the inside of the filter wheel opening which protrudes into the inside of the filter by 2 or 3 mm,

anyone got round this problem before or can offer and suggestions apart from get another filter or filter wheel. 

I had this with some really old Celestron filters Rob, but my Astronomik Ha/OIII/SII and a Baader LP filter fit in my Atik manual 5 filter wheel OK.

Looking at the Baader it is thicker than the Astronomiks though.

Guest Kheldar

That's an OLD filter mate, they changed to a slimline fitting (5 or 6 mm tall) a good few years back ....

Your only option I can think of it to email Tru Tek - he will sell you a new set of low profile filter cells - you move the glass from the old cell to the new cell :(

Edited by Kheldar

just had a play with the filter wheel in the light and realised the adapter although tight can be unscrewed from the housing, maybe if i can get a small adapter ring or maybe a rubber o ring it might get away with it

Guest Kheldar

Is it a manual filter wheel?

I've got it in the back of my head you can either turn the filter carousel back to front (inside the filter wheel) OR you can turn the filter wheel back to front and use it backwards ... can't remember what that little gem was relevant to but I've had to do that somewhere at some point WAY back in deepest darkest history ...

@Stephen, yes, that rings a bell. Plus, the 1.24" fittings thread into the housing but the thread can project into the housing a mm or 3 which then binds inside with the filter bodies.

manual filter wheel, and your explanation Noel is spot on, only screws in 1 or 2 mm too far and clips the Baader filter

Guest Kheldar

Rob easier way and I'm now almost sure this is what you need to do:

Option a) Screw the filters into the OTHER side of the carousel

Option b ) Rotate the filter wheel back to front (you may need to change adaptors from back to front too) So if logo faces scope, make logo face mount

One of these will almost certainly solve the problem - I've been here before :)

Edited by Kheldar

sorted,

thanks to Graham who made me a little threaded ring a while back, i dug it out of the camera case and fitted it to the adapter, it would be nice if the adapter screwed in alittle further but it seems secure and tight.

filter-wheel-ring-1_zpsc3b44146.jpg

filter-wheel-2_zpsab106c11.jpgfilter-wheel-3_zps65b6daf2.jpgfilter-wheel-4_zpsc6eb2548.jpg

Guest Kheldar

Did you try it back to front? Seems less than ideal to increase the optical length (thus mucking up reducer spacings, etc) if you don't have to?

think your proberly right Stephen, i`ve found a few other adapters i`ll have a go at later failing that i have a nice big flat gringing stone which wouldn`t take to long to rub 1 or 2 mm off the bottom of the original adapter