• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Power supply for imaging.

oldfruit

I have this   http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-jump-starter-digital-500a-150psi-compressor-n63nk

that I use to power my NEQ6. If I were to run my mount, laptop with guide camera attached, plus I would have my DSLR connected as I have a 12 v dc adapter coming. I realise that I will need to double up on one of the sockets. Will the above power supply be good enough for a decent imaging session or do I need to look at something a bit more substantial?

I only ask as I know some of you guys are able to estimate power usage for certain items and I have seen that you tend to recommend something with 17ah or more. The above power source is only 12 ah but it is all I have at the moment.

Thanks,

Mark.

i had a 17ah one and they dont last i`m affraid, don`t like the cold never seem to fully charge, and as soon as they go below 12v the mount plays up, i would go for a much better proper leisure battery and atach a 4 port cigar adapter to it for starters, some of the guys have all there rig including laptops running off these all night with no problems

Edited by red dwalf

nope no good at all, you would just about get set up :(

I have 110 ah leisure battery and that is fine.  I think some folks use slightly smaller but I like to be safe

Sheila

Guest Kheldar

As above, that won't do diddly :( You need to be at 85Ah minimum IMHO

Read the amp output on each of your power cables - that's the worst case (max) draw.

I use a 65ah Baz battery running 3 dew bands, mount and laptop. All housed in a fused battery box and it runs fine for a whole session. I have it on a constant trickle charge/discharge cycle when not in use. It's worth mentioning I only do simple planetary Astrophotography so it's not very intensive and tends to not be running continuously, more stop/starting when the patches of better seeing arise :)

It would seem that I have a jump starter for my car/van then. :) So I need to look into a leisure battery and doing some modifications myself. I have seen one or two useful threads on here where some of you guys and gals. Does Baz still do Baz`s batteries?