• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Have I finally found my problem with EQMOD.

Graham

Well fingers crossed I think I have finally found why my EQMOD keeps crashing.

Four times tonight I set up on M1.

Fired up PHD did the calibration and set it going and four times did it freeze within seconds.

After the forth time it dawned on me that every time it froze it was after I had switched off the lights in the room.

My obs room is all wired up on the same circuit so I can only assume that when I switch of the strip lights it is causing a power surge which is freaking out EQMOD either by pulsing the computer or the power supply to the mount..

The fifth time I did it I left the lights off and it just got on with guiding.

So here's hoping I have finally uncovered the route of all my problems.

Guess the next thing on the ' to do ' list is some form of anti surge sockets for the computers or to rewire the lights into the house lighting ring.

Strange one there....

Would expect a momentary dip in volts when you turn the lights on and a possible spike when turned off if they are fluorescent fittings.

There is no way it could just be the light is there? Long shot though....

Ade

Strange one there....

Would expect a momentary dip in volts when you turn the lights on and a possible spike when turned off if they are fluorescent fittings.

There is no way it could just be the light is there? Long shot though....

Ade

Ade I have a feeling its the spike that is causing the grief.

I have now moved on to a second target tonight and this time I have cdc and phd running at the same time.

Again I left the lights off when I set up and it went off guiding without a hitch again.

Its a strange one but it just has to be linked.

Its maybe there is a fault with the strip light causing a large spike when I switch it off. :wacko:

Edited by Graham

Time to replace those strip lights too...

I think you are right there.

Time for some new lighting. :lol:

very starnge, maybe a surge protection socket might cure the problem for good, cheapish fix too

Apparently it could be the starters arcing and sending out all sorts of nasty waves.

If it is the old inductive ballast anything could happen when turning off because the energy in the inductor has to go somewhere.

Hence spike / spark etc

They are electrically noisy when running and a right pain if like me you are a Radio Ham trying to work through the noise...

Replace them me thinks.

Adrian 

If it is the old inductive ballast anything could happen when turning off because the energy in the inductor has to go somewhere.

Hence spike / spark etc

They are electrically noisy when running and a right pain if like me you are a Radio Ham trying to work through the noise...

Replace them me thinks.

Adrian 

Thanks Adrian I will. :thumbsup: