• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A question for all you young techy types

philjay

Saw Aussie Pink Floyd last night at Notts Concert Hall. We always try and get up their in the gods so we can get the full effect of the laser show. The music and effects were spectacular as usual and we were engrossed.

But being right up on the top teir I was able to look down to the folks on the lower levels and I was surprised to see a forest of phone screens as people sat there through the performance filming it.

What is the point of doing that I ask?

More often than not when one goes to see bands the tickets cost alot of money so the idea is to make the most of it and enjoy the total experience surely. If i want a film of the band its cheaper to buy a dvd, and the dvd will be better quality the any ipodphone thingy majig can take.

Ian Anderson (jethro tull) has the right idea, he tells the audience right off to turn off the phones and just enjoy the gig.

Edited by philjay

Guest CodnorPaul

I'm with you Phil - don't understand youth of today.  They spend half their lives on Facebook, then meet up and talk about Facebook - the problems they will have with social integration who only knows.  It was the same at the new years eve fireworks (not that that is like seeing a band) but they queued up all that time, and then stood there staring at a small phone screen - thankfully I was happy to watch it on a screen so I stayed at home and looked at a much larger screen in the warmth.

It's a status thing for younglings Phil. They film it to price they were there and then share it on social media platforms and get adoration from their "friends". I often hear my 15 year old nephew say the phrase "pics & vids or it didn't happen" crazy. I'm with you-just enjoy it :)

From an old techy..

Perhaps they would suffer from withdrawal symptoms if they turned the phone off?

Also what would they have to brag about on the social media.

And before you ask yes I use Facebook, Twitter and Intagram   B)  B)  B)

Ade

I should have guessed its a social meedja related thing. Im afraid I do not understand the purpose of these facetweet things, I suppose it may because I am not as insecure as these types requiring lots of "friends, likes, tweets" or whatever else the terminology is.

Yes Andy, being frisked and bags searched for cameras was the norm at gigs and festivals.

I would recommend Aussie Pink Floyd to anyone who likes a bit of Floyd, they are very good. Not quite as tight as Off The Wall, another tribute band, but far more spectacular

The type of gigs I go to, if you get your phone out you've lost it.

Moshing in the mosh pit is not a place for a phone/camera.

But I'm with you, I'm there to enjoy the 'live' performance, hardly any of my mates like my music so they don't care where I am :)

Perhaps the young ones are "Thick as a brick"  :D  - no offence mean't it was a famous JT song/Album.

This generation is no different to any other they follow whatever is (Cool ,Fab ,In etc) and it so happens social media is the thing. However they mostly do not realise what they put on the Ether will and shall be used against them - the big difference to previous generations. There are business's making billions just analysing what the say/do on social media. Plus companies do check what they do/say when thinking of employing someone - its better than a test!

But its a "free" country !

Never seen the attraction of doing it myself either Phil, maybe I'm getting old. I expect the young un's pop it on the Face Book, Whitter or Twoddle?

I have to admit grabbing some footage of all the light bands flashing in synch to Coldplay and posting it on social media. " Tote amaze" it was too. And I'm no young un! :)

Facebook used to be good for talking to old friends and sharing the odd photo and memory. Now it's just an advertising monster full of useless posts suggesting you "like" and "share" their post about some random bad thing and if you don't then you must be hitler!

Guest peepshow

I only phone people, write to them or chat in person.  

Twitter is for twits and facebook for the faceless. :D

Texting is destroying our grammar too. :( .........and our grandma. :D

When we went to see Eric Clapton a couple of years back at Nottingham, I had to tell the girl in front of me to sit down and get her phone out of the way! Got a rude look but she sat down!! Great concert!! Would like to see 'Off the Wall', seen Pink Floyd in the flesh though!!

Ron

I was preparing myself to shove the bloke next to me off the balcony when he got his phone out but luckily he only took a snap then put it away.

Ron, Off the wall are a northern based group and fo the rounds outside yorks and lancs occassionally, theres a few less of them than the 9 in aussie pf. They have one lass doing the vocals in The great gig in the sky and she is really good. Aussie pf have 3 lasses sharing the vocals, they are good but the lass out of Oft is better.

Interesting... I'm 32 and when I last went to a gig I filmed 30 seconds of it to share with folks. Why? Because the show was superb and I like to share with people who may take an interest and decide to go with me next time. There are now a group of 5-7 of us who will, if we can, go to gigs together. I don't consider myself to be young! The part in question was Rammstein using a flamethrower to cook a band member in a giant pot. It was entertaining. :)

Facebook is a great way to share things with those who have common interests. It's kind of like... taking a picture of Jupiter and posting it on an astronomy forum. Why bother? We can all look up and see it ourselves or look at pictures taken by Cassini.

Interesting... I'm 32 and when I last went to a gig I filmed 30 seconds of it to share with folks. Why? Because the show was superb and I like to share with people who may take an interest and decide to go with me next time. There are now a group of 5-7 of us who will, if we can, go to gigs together. I don't consider myself to be young! The part in question was Rammstein using a flamethrower to cook a band member in a giant pot. It was entertaining. :)

Facebook is a great way to share things with those who have common interests. It's kind of like... taking a picture of Jupiter and posting it on an astronomy forum. Why bother? We can all look up and see it ourselves or look at pictures taken by Cassini.

I agree to this extent, it's nice to be able to share some of the experience, but there are people now days who literally just go to concerts to sit there on their phone recording it! 

Still dont get it Craig, sorry. Each to their own I spose.

But sitting there for most of the performance behind a phone and missing the experience just puzzles me hence the question.

Also I cannot see the point in this trend to social media. If you want to keep in touch or bore someone with the most mundane of your activities then why not use email. Money spinning idea though this facebook and twitter, very clever and has made the originators alot of money Im sure

Back in the day it was called "Bootleg"!

Agreed Martyn, that is another aspect. We used to be frisked for any recording devices years ago but all that is out the window these days. I once was shown a bootleg Hendrix album and thought the owner to be near to criminal due to the attitudes and laws of the day Edited by philjay

I agree to this extent, it's nice to be able to share some of the experience, but there are people now days who literally just go to concerts to sit there on their phone recording it! 

I don't get those people either.

But sitting there for most of the performance behind a phone and missing the experience just puzzles me hence the question.

That bit I agree with Phil. I capture 30 seconds or a specific moment I know is brilliant, then I spend the rest of the time enjoying it. They could be the youth of today...