• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Target Jupiter, 8th of March.

Hi all,

Ilkeston &District Astro Society is holding a Target Jupiter event to coincide with national astronomy week on sat the 8th of March.

http://www.astronomyweek.org.uk/?event=target-jupiter-with-ilkeston-and-district-astronomical-society

Following the success of a recent last minute event lead by IDAS with the help of a couple of EMS members ( thanks again Baz and Perkilator ) I have been asked to extend an invite and warm welcome to anyone from EMS who fancies coming along to show off their shiny kit to the unsuspecting public at this event.

I know that some of you were disappointed that the EMS event has been cancelled:-(, well here's your chance to be involved with national astronomy week.

The event will be held at the Erewash museum in Ilkeston on the 8th of march. Open to the public from either 6 or 7 depending on where you look, but I'll confirm that when I can. Set up time is from 4. We have presentations and projections inside and scopes will be outside on the lawn, but if the weathers not playing ball we will have a scope display inside. Please note that there are no outdoor power outlets.

Thanks for listening, if you would like to come along with your scopes for the evening please comment below or PM me.

Please feel free to come along and have a look even if you are unable to help out.

Andy

Edited by tuckstar

This sounds good Andy and it's just around the corner from me. I'll try to pop down!

(I have no scope :P)

Will be good to see you if you make it. And the same goes to anyone else who fancies a look.

Thanks for sorting this board out Craig. I'll be the one with the laser :-)

Edited by tuckstar

No worries, glad it's getting used. :)

Hopefully I can make it on the night.

Just a bump.

This event is tonight and all are welcome, we're a bit short of scopes so if any one fancies helping out please shout up.

Thanks again.

Just getting my 80mm scope sorted ready to put in the car, along with the kitchen sink!

Cheers

Mark

Just getting my 80mm scope sorted ready to put in the car, along with the kitchen sink!

Cheers

Mark

Just packing everything up myself, I'll see you there shortly.

A great night had by all, and very busy with queues for all 6 scopes set up.. Skies cleared enough to show the people of Ilkeston the moon and Jupiter. 156 people through the gate. I'm always amazed how much the youngsters seem to know now a days. Schools must be something right.

Thanks to all those involved.

Edited by tuckstar

• 2 weeks later...

Helloo! I'm a fellow Ilsonite and was going to go to this event but family duties prevented me from getting there.

New to this forum by the way!

Looking forward to any future events held in Ilkeston and surrounding areas!

=)

Hi Emz and welcome to EMS!

There are a few of us around your neck of the woods.

Feel free to post an introduction in the Welcome area where you'll have more of a chance of meeting and greeting everybody. :D

Helloo! I'm a fellow Ilsonite and was going to go to this event but family duties prevented me from getting there.

New to this forum by the way!

Looking forward to any future events held in Ilkeston and surrounding areas!

=)

Hi Emz, welcome aboard.

Shame you couldnt make it to the event, it was a successful night.

Ilkeston and District Astro Society is just one of many societies in the area, and runs independently to EMS. The're are a few of us who are members of both.The link for IDAS is on my signature.

Your welcome along any time, look forward to seeing you.

look out for EMS meets on the main forum,

regards,

Andy.