• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Possible aurora

oldfruit

But of a strange one, but are there any reports of aurora activity tonight? I ask because I have been out in my garden imaging and the northern sky was red from about ten degrees up to about twenty degrees. Not light pollution orange but red. It seemed to fade and come back. I know I sound daft but has anyone else seen or read anything?

I would say its not an aurora, the currant level is 4, when Stargazing live was on the level was 7, which meant it could have been possible to see it in Britain, but not a level 4.

See this....

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Europe/2014/02/27

Edited by Daz Type-R

Thanks Daz. Just not seen nything like it before and it was a but strange. Probably some other explanation.

Very odd, I`m checking all the official sites whose job it is to report aurora activity and they are saying nowt....

:unsure:

Twitter are going bonkers - Peak District, Norfolk, Shrewsbury! My skies far too polluted here though. Such a shame and sick child so I'm going nowhere.

There is a light 'arc' I have not seen before through what light pollution there is in the N/NW, maybe that could have been it? Not sure, seen some pulsing-ish light too but don't know if that was just air movement with the light p? 

The earlier display really lit the sky up red, then died down.

I got a few pictures when it started up again. The light arc Tobias saw was visible for quite some time.