• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Possible aurora

oldfruit

The show about 8 pm was a lot stronger than the later one. Trouble is I have just got my guiding rig up and running tonight and my camera has been on the end of my ED80. Though I may hang about a bit longer tonight now as there could be further displays. :thumbsup:

Apparently there was a huge flare off the side of the sun today:

....... the CME that came from this flare is expected to arrive in the next few hours. Space weather live has the following update....

The low-energy protons as measured by ACE EPAM are steadily rising which indicates the X4.9 CME is getting closer to Earth. A glancing blow is expected to arrive at Earth later today. NOAA is forecasting a G1 geomagnetic storm but the European SIDC is forecasting at most active conditions (Kp4) which to us seems the more likely scenario. Nevertheless, follow the data and forecasts on www.spaceweatherlive.com for the latest info!

The report came in just after lunch time today. :)

Saw a red glow around an hour ago to the NW, dismissed it as light pollution or wishful thinking however just looked again and it was defiantly a different colour to what I see now, I hope it was :)

Saw a red glow around an hour ago to the NW, dismissed it as light pollution or wishful thinking however just looked again and it was defiantly a different colour to what I see now, I hope it was :)

That's what I was seeing, couldn't tell if it was just my eyes or if it was actually a lot 'redder' than usual!

AuroraWatch finally emailed an amber alert! Bugger! I have work to do!

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

I'm not sure if I'm just seeing orange illuminated clouds?? Very subtle. Not sure if I'm actually seeing anything.

The red colour I was seeing was obviously different to the ubiquitous orange glow and quite high in the sky, below it was a bright, very pale green/grey band. There was also subtle movement within the colours and bands.

The red colour I was seeing was obviously different to the ubiquitous orange glow and quite high in the sky, below it was a bright, very pale green/grey band. There was also subtle movement within the colours and bands.

It was different Paul, like I said in my original post, it was clearly red and nothing like the glow from street lights. I am just glad that I was out and able to see it.

Just back in. Went out into the country, stopped in a layby and saw an arc overhead running through Ursa Major, so went up to Belper, couldn't discern anthing of note.

I can report though Belper is definitely not suitable for use at the minute, it's completely water logged

Had a nosey out here for past 20 minutes with nothing to see other than what seems to be the usual light pollution, i'm guessing i'm too late for it

BBC breakfast reporting it this morning and had Prof O'brien on from Jodrell Bank and Ty labeled him an "Astronomist" :DPosted Image

I received amber alert from Lancaster and when I checked their graph last night, it had settled back to no activity. A quick look at the sky - no obvious activity seen from my Loughborough location but northern horizon is not visible because of houses. I thought the overall sky had a slight haze (ironically a rust brown haze, but stars and Jupiter still visible).

But tonight, it's on the news that northern lights were visible. Have I missed alerts, or has Lancaster missed it? If this was a major storm, I'm gutted. I had predicted to friends I had a feeling we might be due a display, the last major storm I believe was ~ 11 yrs ago - solar max? (and I saw that one in 2003). Tonight is cloudy. Derek

Strange fan shaped or striated clouds in the sky radiating from the north, overhead and to south. About "5-6 fingers". They didn't move like curtains, but remained in the same place for a long time (at least half an hour) slowly fading then reappearing slightly displaced. Eventually they faded. I'm sure it was just clouds, but I had to grab a camera and photograph. Bitter cold, I could hear the frosted grass as I walked across the garden. Hands freezing. Will look at the images in detail later "today". I couldn't see any colour in these striated clouds with the naked eye, and the 15 sec exposures didn't reveal any green, only orange. Off ta bed.