• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Some doubles, 1.3.14

dawson

I was just messing around and looking at various things tonight, between the clouds, and happened to take some single frame snaps of some double:

Polaris:

polarisanddouble_zps9cd64bfd.jpg

Mizar and Alcor:

mizarandalcor_zps5bc15de4.jpg

And 44 Orion (right next to M42):

HIP26241_zps8fe6bc70.jpg

All taken with a Canon 6D at prime focus on a C11; Bahtinov mask used for focusing, but as it was sat on half way through the night, and understandably couldn't tolerate a 95kg load, it snapped :(

Also worked out the the skywatcher handset gives more information on items in the deep sky tour if you keep pressing the bottom right button once you have selected it (its constellation, azimuth and elevation, RA and dec, magnitude, and other stuff).

The Jupiter show I had planned for some kids was put on hold as it was too cloudy pre-21:00 hrs so event cancelled much to the apparent annoyance of said kids; the fact sheet I'd knocked up will come in useful another day though (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1673286/Jupiter%20and%20the%20four%20Galilean%20moons-jsd.pdf).

So, a semi-productive night.

JD

Nice pics JD, cool fact sheet too. Clouded over at mine so I packed up too. My Avis (post PIPP) are currently running through A!S 2 so hopefully (touch wood) may have something to post tomorrow. I have only ever had one session where I looked at doubles specifically and was nicely surprised at the variance in colours.

I think (I may be mistaken) that Polaris is a multiple star system. I am sure I read something really good on SGL about it and someone had managed to get an image of the other really faint stars around it. I will have a look and post link if I find it again.

Nice pics James :)

I think (I may be mistaken) that Polaris is a multiple star system. I am sure I read something really good on SGL about it and someone had managed to get an image of the other really faint stars around it. I will have a look and post link if I find it again.

You're correct I think, there are something like 5 stars in the system!

Thanks Tibbz, they are not very good, but I had to have some proof that I'd been out with the scope last night :)

It always amazes me at how many doubles there are!

JD