• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Meeting 01/03/2013 and Messier Hunt

Our March meeting had the first clear skies for a meeting for months.

The forecast showed cloud for after midnight but I decided to attempt my sponsored Messier Hunt anyway.

Before dark we had some excellent views of Jupiter then I got into searching out those M's.

M74 eluded me but up to 11 o'clock I had bagged M77, M33, M31, M32, M110, M52, M103, M76, M34, M45, M79, M42, M43, M78, M1, M35, M37, M36, M38, M41, M93, M47, M46, M50, M48, M44, M67, M95, M96, M105, M65, M66, M81, M82, M97, M108, M109, M40, M106, M94, M63, M51, M101, M102, M53, M64 and M3.

I was started to feel cold and the scope had a layer of ice on it. With a bit of moisture in the atmosphere, dewing up was a worry. After a warm up in the car I set about the Coma-Virgo Cluster. It was about midnight, a thin layer of cloud had passed over and a breeze had picked up.

M98,M99,M100,M85,M84,M86,M87,M89,M90,M88,M91,M58,M59.M60,M49,M61,M104 and M68.

I couldn't locate M83, a galaxy very low on the horizon.

Back onto more familiar territory, M5,M13,M92 and M57.

Cloud obscured M56 for a short while but I got it about 2am and that was my last as it completely clouded over. I waited unitl 3am but it seemed obvious that it was not going to clear so that was the end of my challenge. The only equipment used was my manual 12" Dob, 13mm Nagler and 32mm Panaview. The only charts I used were from the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders and Sky & Telescope pocket sky atlas.

Thank you to everyone who sponsored me, all proceeds going to the renovation costs of the shelter at Badger Farm.

Edited by Craig
Corrected formatting that was breaking the forum layout.

Well done hard work,true dedication and putting the signs out :)

Such knowledge one can only aspire too!

Just seen I've got the topic title wrong, should be 01-03-2014, doh. Still tired.

That list is so long it has broken EMS on my computer lol!

You certainly got through them by the sounds of it despite the cloud, great work :)

Fantastic effort - Respect

:notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

Such expertise - The Astro Knowledge - Think you have passed!

Ade

Title edited.

What a night Paul, you bagged all those Virgo galaxies, simply awesome stuff.

Good stuff I think we should call the hut the paul cotton building. ;-)

Sounds like a brilliant night. :)

You should call it "The Paul Cotton Messier Hunting Hut". :D

Thanks for the support.

I do want to try and get the other possible objects, there's a still 14 I haven't seen mostly in the Sagittarius area.  If we get a good forecast in the next couple of weeks we'll have to have an extra meet. The Moon will be out the way by early morning.

Just discovered I got 5 new M's last night,M41,46,47,87 & 93 ! But Paul got within14 of my 2.5 years total in one night, awesome!!

Well done Paul (by the way we bought that car today!!)  :)

Paul can you list the ones you have not seen, I have 13 more to see they are:

M4,6,7,30,54,55,62,68,69,70,79,83,and 93

Just curious to see if they are the same as mine.

Just discovered I got 5 new M's last night,M41,46,47,87 & 93 ! But Paul got within14 of my 2.5 years total in one night, awesome!!

Well done Paul (by the way we bought that car today!!)  :)

Well done Ron on seeing M93 pretty hard that one. Must have been murk free night.

That's an awesome effort Paul. Well done mate.

I have to be honest, I have never looked at my total Messier bag, I have listed them in a note book so maybe it's time to have a look and see where Iam.

This hut's going to be like the Hilton by the time you lot have done.

Paul can you list the ones you have not seen, I have 13 more to see they are:

M4,6,7,30,54,55,62,68,69,70,79,83,and 93

Just curious to see if they are the same as mine.

I'm after M6,7,9,18,19,21,25,54,55,69,70,75,80 and 83.

I think M83 is going to be a struggle. My Southern horizon is obscured from home.

Cheers Paul.

There's a few of the same ones.

I will have a look later and compare.

Well done Ron on seeing M93 pretty hard that one. Must have been murk free night.

I was able to find M93 at the last meet, and if it's hard to find and I'm finding it, then that goes to prove how good the sky is up at Badger :lol::P

Whenever I've looked it's always been to low down and hidden in the murk, but as you say dark skies help and you must have them there.

Whenever I've looked it's always been to low down and hidden in the murk, but as you say dark skies help and you must have them there.

Indeed, the east/west/south horizons are pretty clear up there :)

Only problem is the light from lincoln but thats 25 miles away so not a major problem.

If you do have an extra meet Paul, give me a shout. All Birthdays etc out of the way now so I should be available for future meets including extra ones,