• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter GRS 01/03/2014

catman161

Mount: NEQ6 Pro       Scope: SW 200P      Camera: ASI120MC      Accessories: TV 2x Powermate

It really wasn't my night last night, poor seeing, intermittent cloud, laptop playing up-the list goes on but it was nice to get out and I did a bit of visual too which calmed me down after the imaging saga :)

Below is the best of a terrible bunch of 16 avis from the 01/03/2014.  2000 of 3000 frames using a ZWO ASI120MC captured with Sharpcap 2 and stacked in AS!2 after being put through PIPP, wavelets in Registax 5.1 and processing in PSCS2

The focus is off which is annoying, but I found the condtions so bad that the tiniest of increments meant you were either as focused (as could be) or entirely out of focus. Oh well there's always another night. Now that I have bought the 4x powermate I am looking forward to a clear weekend night to have a go at Mars.

12882546535_94c2343cb7_o.png
Jupiter 01_03_2014 22_21_58 by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Edited by catman161

Cor, that looks detailed! It's a bit dark on my iphone, but i'll look later at the pc. But looks really good. What sort of time did you capture it? It was cloudy from 6.30-8.30 here, then clear until 10, then cloudy again.

Jd

Cor, that looks detailed! It's a bit dark on my iphone, but i'll look later at the pc. But looks really good. What sort of time did you capture it? It was cloudy from 6.30-8.30 here, then clear until 10, then cloudy again.

Jd

It was at 22:21. It looks detailed doesn't it? Shame I messed up the focusing and we're not able to discern it :(

Nice one Felix

Thanks Clive, hopefully I'll do better next try :)

another corker my friend, again a nice clearish night last night and i`m working the graveyard shift again, looks pants for tonight so fingers crossed for me on Monday night to get the zwo some first light

another corker my friend, again a nice clearish night last night and i`m working the graveyard shift again, looks pants for tonight so fingers crossed for me on Monday night to get the zwo some first light

Thanks rob. Not happy with it myself, the poor focus I can't fix but think I've overdone the blue perhaps. May have a reprocess later.

Look forward to seeing your mono cam results-they are cracking little cameras

Guest CodnorPaul

Stop putting great pictures of Jupiter up Felix - my finger keeps twitching on pressing buy on the ZWO camera, and I am resisting the darkside for the foreseeable future ;)

You are way too hard on yourself Felix ;)

Lol, thanks Mick :) I just want to get "that picture" ya know? One day maybe :)

I'm looking now on a PC. It's difficult to know if it is focus or just the result of poor seeing; I remember saying once on SGL that I thought the focus was off on an image, and JamesF was talking about it being difficult to tell the difference between seeing and focus on stacked images.

This is a cracking image.

For me, you have over processed it a bit, and the colours are a bit towards the "electro" end of the spectrum for my liking / how they appear on my monitor.

It is difficult to see how you can improve things from here.... What was the next step you were thinking in terms of altering kit / settings or getting new kit / software? Is your saddle on the NEQ6 a dual mount one that will take a Losmandy-type plate? If so, you are welcome to borrow the 180Mak and play with that, though you might have to mud wrestle with Leigh for it :)

I've got a plan to pick The Peach-meister for more tips!

JD

Stop putting great pictures of Jupiter up Felix - my finger keeps twitching on pressing buy on the ZWO camera, and I am resisting the darkside for the foreseeable future ;)

They are great for the money Paul-you've got the NEQ6 you may as well ;)

Nice one Felix.

I do like a good Jup photo and that is a good one. :)

Thanks graham :)

looks good on my pc screen, like James has said maybe if being very very critical the wavelets might be alittle too sharp but i`d be very happy with that for an image, always difficult to process images, i always do three or four attempts at processing with my dso stuff.

Thanks Peter :) I just wish I had been able to get the focus that little bit better.

Nice image Felix

pity mine from the 1st were not as badly focused :D

Edited by Ibbo