• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie From Leicester

Guest smaxy

Guest smaxy

Hello Everyone......I have always been fascinated by the stars, so my daughters bought me my first telescope for my birthday in Jan this year, alas it's not been great viewing weather, but I managed to have a peek last night. I have a Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT Refractor, I decided Jupiter would be a good place to start, I realise I won't be able to see great pics like in books and mags, but expected to see some detail (It just looked like a blob of bright light) ......Help, what am I doing wrong or is it the telescope???

Hi and welcome.

Yes Jupiter is a great target for looking at, and for doing visual and imaging.

....Edited text as i thought you'd tried imaging....

Glad to have you all on board.

James

Edited by dawson

Hi and welcome :)

I think the problem may have been from the magnification, at a decent magnification you will be able to make out the bands and great red spot on the surface, and even shadows during moon transits.

What eyepiece were you using?

Hello and welcome to EMS.

If you have used the supplied eye pieces that came with the scope you will have a 25mm and a 9mm which give 26 and 73 times magnification, both of which should show some detail on Jupiter (the 9mm especially).

There are numerous reasons why an object will not be focused correctly, dew on the optics, too high a magnification (doubt it in your case unless you are using another eye piece), not focused correctly (sometimes needs just the smallest of nudges to get good focus) or the "seeing" was rubbish (atmospheric transparency).

There are quite a few members in Leicester, some one may be along shortly who could offer further help or any other ideas, I`m a reflector user and not much experience with fracs.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Maxine and welcome to EMS :)

The maximum stated magnification for your scope is 240x - you can get nice detailed views of Jupiter at around 150x to 180x. To be in that range you'd need a 4mm to 5mm eyepiece, and preferably a reasonably good quality one. However, the view is always going to be entirely dependent on the prevailing "seeing" conditions. This is true of any scope - even the best quality ones.

Hope that helps and enjoy the forum.

Guest smaxy

I have been using the eyepieces that came with the scope, I think it will be worth purchasing better quality ones, but until then I will persevere with what I have.

Thanks for all your comments, they have all been helpful

Hi Maxine,

Welcome to the forum.

Eyepieces are very personal as different eyes have different needs. It would be worth coming along to a meet if you can, you'll be able to try some of the scopes and eyepieces in use.

Keep an eye on the EMS Meets board, here, for info about upcoming meets. There's nothing arranged at the moment but it can change at short notice depending on the weather.

If you can't get to one of our meets I would suggest any local astronomy club or astronomical society. Hands on help is invaluable. :)

I hope the scope brings you lots of fun.

Craig

Welcome to EMS Maxine.

Persevere with the 9mm (73x) eyepiece as on a good night you should be able to discern the cloud bands on Jupiter and definitely the row of four moons. When I started by using my 60x spotting scope I managed to see the detail once I got my eye tuned in after a minute or so.

There is some skill to getting the focus right and training your perception at that mag. As others have said a higher mag eyepiece would be better but of a better quality and one that suits you. Ideally you need to try a few before making your mind up. That's where meeting up with a group like EMS will help.

Keep persevering and you will be rewarded...

Ade

Hi welcome aboard. As stated above if you can get to a meet you would be made welcome and get all the advice you could need and some you probably won't.

Hi Maxine, a warm welcome to EMS.

As others have mentioned it's all down the conditions and gear. That's a great scope for a first scope, and there's loads out there well within the grasp of it.

Decent eyepieces don't have to cost a fortune, but definitely try them out before buying. The BST Explorers or Starguiders or whatever they call them now are really excellent value for money, but don't suit everyone.

I look forward to meeting you sometime. Have fun. :)