• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Website relaunch

Same here. I think that's a huge factor for me personally (maybe others) for if I will look at a website-whether it is smartphone friendly or not.

Strange. I can't get it on my PC but can on my smart phone. It's what you get from free hosting services. I'm also hosted somewhere else but wish to run a few tests first.

I've remodelled my home page and will be gradually changing all pages to the same form. I'm using a standard header, site navigator then the main content.

Have a go and see how you get on: http://philippugh.fortunecity.com/index.html

It WOULD help if I gave you the right web hosting service: http://philippugh.comlu.com/index.html but I'm having issues with the server being down.

OK, it is working now.

Edited by Sunny Phil
Corrected URL

The server is up, your new link was still pointing to the wrong place.

I just corrected it for you. :)

I've added quite a bit today. I'm looking for comments.

http://philippugh.comlu.com/index.html

If anyone finds anything on my legacy site that is worth keeping, please let me know. I'm under the impression from looking at stats that I had a lot of content on my legacy site that was just not visited much.

I find using Blogspot for my latest observations MUCH easier than writing blog entries and uploading pictures. Also, I've been using Photobucket for years, as it allows much larger pictures.

I will be adding things like a site guide and about me but I'm expecting most people would check my recent content. For that reason I've put it at the top of the menu and I've tried to arrange the menu in the order that most people are going to want to see first.

From my first look, it looks good. I like the photos on the blog idea, nice and simple and easy to view on a phone etc. I will have another more detailed look later. :-)

When i look on my phone, i have to zoom in to read the text, but then it doesn't re size so as well as scrolling down, i have to scroll left to right too, which generally puts me off unless the topic is something i simply have to read . I have no idea how easy it is to make it resize when zoomed; sorry.

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I may need to increase the font size. The trouble with all us website owners is that we can't optimise content for one type of device, it has to cover all.

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I may need to increase the font size. The trouble with all us website owners is that we can't optimise content for one type of device, it has to cover all.

That is not true, there are hosts out there that detect what platform the page is on and will auto resize everything, so if you look on an IPhone it will auto resize, if you look on a PC, it will auto resize etc.

You need the meta tags which detect the screen width and format appropriately. You can use JavaScript and PHP to do the same thing too.

You're coding this from scratch by the looks of it. Have you thought about using a CMS software like Joomla or perhaps a website builder service like Wix?

Phil ,

I 2nd Craig suggestion - why waste time better used for star gazing  :)

You're coding this from scratch by the looks of it. Have you thought about using a CMS software like Joomla or perhaps a website builder service like Wix?

To some extent I am coding  but not totally from scratch. I need the HTML code to provide the drop-down menu and the stat counter. If I want to add graphics (for example), I use Microsoft ExpressionWeb and edit the HTML code it generates into my site template. When the work is complete, I will not be doing too much to it, except possibly replacing some pictures to give some variety from time to time. My recent content is hosted externally. My pictures are in Photobucket and my blog is in Blogspot and I use Twitter for updates.

I am doing this now because I have some time off (not all spent on the website) and I am between writing books.

That is not true, there are hosts out there that detect what platform the page is on and will auto resize everything, so if you look on an IPhone it will auto resize, if you look on a PC, it will auto resize etc.

Thanks. I'll look into that. I've increased the font size so it is readable on my Smartphone and not too irritating on my 14" screen.