• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Go where no man has gone before - on earth

stash

Anyone read this 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26373896

Just shows life finds a way - the pressure at that depth most be enormous. 

Fascinating stuff - so Planets with  high gravity(atmospheric pressure)  could still have life - yes there are other factors I know but just shows that life "adapts and survives" in ,what humans would find, hostile environments. And they don't look like Dan Dares "Mekon" (TM Eagle)

At 25,000 feet it's approx 5 ton per square inch.

Ouch

Guest peepshow

I wonder what pressure is transmitted through the heel of a stiletto.

Jd

Sex pounds to the square inch ?  :)

Jd

could tread on you with mine if you like :lol:  then you would know

could tread on you with mine if you like :lol: then you would know

I'll tread on you in mine, haha :)

Jd

Why James you worried about damaging your new decking.

Might I suggest wearing flat shoes if this is the case. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just to put the record straight, i don't own any high heels, though i did ONCE dress up as a women for a laugh, but found two pairs of tights was uncomfortably hot and itchy, and i never did work out where i lost my bra that night, which is a shame as it cost a fortune on leicester market as apparently not many women have a 46 inch chest.

Anyway, back to the life under pressure debate....

Just to put the record straight, i don't own any high heels, though i did ONCE dress up as a women for a laugh, but found two pairs of tights was uncomfortably hot and itchy, and i never did work out where i lost my bra that night, which is a shame as it cost a fortune on leicester market as apparently not many women have a 46 inch chest.

two pairs of tights :o  were you cold :lol:  usually stick to one pair myself :lol:

Where has this thread got to? :lol:

James, it's easier if you wax your legs first. (I refuse to comment how I know :wacko: )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where has this thread got to? :lol:

James, it's easier if you wax your legs first. (I refuse to comment how I know :wacko: )

:o :o :o   you live and learn bout folks :lol:

I don't think i've got gorilla legs but with one pair of tights there were loads of ginger hairs sticking out at right angles... Not a good look with american tan tights, so the second pair on top seemed to resolve this issue, but was quite warm, and there was an awful saggy issue in the gusset region; i would hate to have to wear tights on a regular basis. There is a photo somewhere of the whole outfit, not the gusset! Lol.

Please lets get away from this, i'm getting awful flashbacks...

I don't think i've got gorilla legs but with one pair of tights there were loads of ginger hairs sticking out at right angles... Not a good look with american tan tights, so the second pair on top seemed to resolve this issue, but was quite warm, and there was an awful saggy issue in the gusset region; i would hate to have to wear tights on a regular basis. There is a photo somewhere of the whole outfit, not the gusset! Lol.

Please lets get away from this, i'm getting awful flashbacks...

dont really wear tights that much ;)

Talk about Chinese whispers - start off talking about life under extreme conditions then end up talking about ladies shoes,waxing,wearing tights and bra's - all this from men (not including Shelia who can talk about such things!) - Am I on the right forum for Astro  :o  :D

Guest peepshow

Geting back to the thread, if that is allowed :) ...............

Don't forget that life has been found in very low and high temperatures (over 110C), as well as high pressure.

Also in very acidic waters. Many creatures can withstand high radiation levels too.

Here is an interesting site..........

http://www.nss.org/adastra/volume14/rothschild.html

Yes its the same as "things" living in / around "smokies" at the bottom of the ocean - Both pressure and extreme heat but thriving life. I guess we humans look on environments from what would be good for us where as life just adapts - so when we look at "lifeless" planets we are saying not fit for humans but there maybe still some sort of life.

Fascinating I suppose really thinking about it these species tend to be "one horse wonders" where we use other means to visit,if not live, in their realms (e.g. Deep Sea subs,Space crafts etc).

I think I am right that I read somewhere that some bacteria do "float" in space and as a recent story on a 30000 yr old virus showed being frozen doesn't kill them off. The 30000 yr old virus was found in thawed part of Siberia(!) and had reactivated - luckily not a threat to life. 

Keep in mind that life may have begun in such environments and that the adaptation may have been for life to leave it. It's now simple "alien" to us.

Keep in mind that life may have begun in such environments and that the adaptation may have been for life to leave it. It's now simple "alien" to us.

There is some evidence that life did start in these extreme (to us) environments and drifted away. The use of photosynthesis for food instead of iron/sulphur etc probably came later. That paved the way for oxygen breathers like us.

There is some evidence that life did start in these extreme (to us) environments and drifted away. The use of photosynthesis for food instead of iron/sulphur etc probably came later. That paved the way for oxygen breathers like us.

i have seen this, but there appears to be no explanation as to how this happened, well not one that makes sense.  If it were extremophiles

in the deep ocean (vents etc)  how did the travel between them across the deep cold oceans, or even get to the surface?

It was the cyanobacteria that paved the way for us I think as they dumped the O2 into the air to raise the oxygen levels far enough, was

not enough before then

i have seen this, but there appears to be no explanation as to how this happened, well not one that makes sense.  If it were extremophiles

in the deep ocean (vents etc)  how did the travel between them across the deep cold oceans, or even get to the surface?

It was the cyanobacteria that paved the way for us I think as they dumped the O2 into the air to raise the oxygen levels far enough, was

not enough before then

There are a number of mysteries like that, another being how did we get mitochondria incorporated into our cells. I think the mutation rates in bacteria are pretty high. Could have been just a random weird mutation that was successful?

lives "Soup"  and true its now "alien" to us - true