• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Lincoln

Guest nightingale

Guest nightingale

Hello

I am Laks from Lincolnshire and have moved here quite recently . I am from London and I am enjoying the open spaces and l a clear sky (day or night ...where there is no rain ! ) . I am a primary school teacher and at the moment  I am between jobs . I love for astronomy started when I was little . My dad was a nuclear Geo Physics scientist and he had a telescope which I regularly used to use as a kid. I now have my own one ...and I have bought it just yesterday . I got myself a Skywatcher Explorer 130P Supa trak Parabolic Newtonian . I hope I made the right choice. Initially I ordered a Dob Skyliner but after looking at the images of the scope and its disadvantages relating to the size ( heard that  it is fab)I opted for the explorer 130P instead . I hope I have made the right choice . Anyone here has any opinions about this ? I have 7 days to return it .and it is expected to be delivered tomorrow. I am so excited !! I am a new amateur but I am willing to learn ...Are there any clubs in this area where people get together for star gazing ? any new events happening in the coming weeks ?

When I am not teaching ,reading or cooking  I walk my dogs .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brantuk

• Daz Type-R

• RonC

• oldfruit

Hello and welcome to EMS.

We have a couple of dark sky sites, one at Belper, one at Wymeswold and then we have another dark site which (depending on which part of Lincoln you live in) may be closer to you which is located at Badger Farm, another sort of sub group (for want of a better term) to EMS is called ELAC (East Lincolnshire Astronomy Club) so they may be your best bet.  They have regular meets, as do we when the weather allows.

Your scope will get you going nicely, the 5" mirror should let you see most of the brighter deep sky objects and planets, it may struggle  a bit on the more fainter DSO's but from the sound of it, portability is a factor for you,which limits the size of a scope you may wish to go for ( the 200P for example possibly being a bit too big).

A good dark sky can also make the difference between seeing something and not seeing it.

Any questions, fire away in the appropriate section, and someone will be along shortly to answer them.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Guest nightingale

Oh Thanks ...I live in a village called Swinderby ..between Newark and Lincoln and I do have darkness around me at nights which is probably a good thing . I meets sound good to me . I hop emy lens is a good one . I have also bought a moon lens and a  skywatcher ultra wide 6mm  eye piece .  do you think they are good ? I did feel sad when I cancelled my Dob . I guess it wd have been bulky . Not sure of how much it weighs though . The images looked like it could occupy the whole room and I wasn't sure how you would view and use it . Any important things happening in the night sky this week apart from Jupiter viewings. Has anyone seen it ? Thanks for your reply . I am so excited about receiving that tomorrow . 

Deep Sky Object (galaxy's, nebula, globular / open clusters etc etc.), sorry, I did spell it out in my original post, it may not of been clear.  :)

Edited by Daz Type-R

The 200P is not that heavy, it can be split into 2, the main telescope (OTA) and the base, the scope itself takes up the whole back seat of my Vauxhall Astra (length ways) and the base fits easily in the boot.

I can not comment on the eye piece you have bought as I have never used it, but eye pieces (EP's) are a very personnel choice, what one person likes, another person may hate.

What I suggest you do is come along to the next meet, keep an eye out in the announcements section, that way you can look at other peoples kit, see what they have got, see the size of things etc and ask questions.

With regards to DSO's and your scope, yes you should be able to see the brighter ones, I have the 200P and struggle to find and see some of the real faint DSO's, the scope you have will serve you well for a year or two.

Guest nightingale

Oh  great ...that sounds encouraging . I shall wait till it arrives tomorrow. I hope I  understand how to set it up . Why don't people like eye pieces  ?

Hi Lakshmi and welcome to EMS. :)

You are 32 miles from our Wymeswold dark site - just straight down the A46 for about 35 - 40 mins. Keep a look out on the Info and Announcements board for "EMS Meets" thread where the next meeting will be announced. :)

Hi welcome aboard.

I have a 130 newt Skywatcher explorer and have been using it for a couple of years. You an see dsos but only as faint fuzzies, as we call them, but it does still surprise me sometimes, especially under nice dark skies. I am ready for a bigger scope but my 130 has served me well. I'll be looking for a 10 or 12" dob next.

Good luck and as day said if you can get to a a meeting you'll learn a lot in a short space of time.

Andy.

Oh great ...that sounds encouraging . I shall wait till it arrives tomorrow. I hope I understand how to set it up . Why don't people like eye pieces ?

Everybody's eyes are different in one way or another, something called eye relief is a factor (how far your eye has to be from the ep to see the object you are looking at) some eps require you to be really close to the lens, others allow you to be 15mm away (good if you wear glasses). There are quite a few reasons why you either love or hate a ep.

Hi Lakshmi and welcome to EMS. :)

You are 32 miles from our Wymeswold dark site - just straight down the A46 for about 35 - 40 mins. Keep a look out on the Info and Announcements board for "EMS Meets" thread where the next meeting will be announced. :)

The Dark Lord has spoken - "all hail the dark lord". :notworthy:  Sorry Kim can't resist it I will keep taking the tablets!

Hi Lakshmi and welcome to EMS ,

Badger Farm isn't much further just not straight roads - you just missed the 1/3/2014 when "Tbird" did a marathon star gaze without an GOTO aid - very very impressive - well I was impressed. God aren't GoTo's noisy should be issued with H&S warning!

Maybe with so many around Newark,Grantham,Cranwell,Lincoln we should start another sub group :evil: - Just joking everyone :D

Welcome to EMS.

Kim's advice is the best advice in my opinion - bring yourself and your scope and eyepieces to a meet and you'll find somebody who is happy to help you. :)

Hi Lakshmi, a warm welcome to EMS.

The ELAC group is just up the road from you, and are a great bunch of folk. Iam sure they would be able to help you out. Failing that, as Kim said, have a wander down to Wymeswold.

The 130P is a great scope, and will keep you happy for a good while. You will want something bigger, it's natural, just don't fight it. :lol:

Hello and welcome to EMS :-)

I also have a 130, and it is surprising what it can see.

Yup Badger farm is about the same distance - but it's closer to a 1hr drive due to the route. Whichever site you choose to go to you'll have a guarantee of a warm friendly welcome and plenty of help with your scope and finding stuff in the sky. :)

Lol @ Clive :lol:

Guest nightingale

Thanks everyone ...how exciting is this . I am waiting to meet you all and learn learn and learn !!!! I can't wait for my toy to arrive . Please let me know when the meets are going to be . I will be there . 

Thanks 

Hi Lac, welcome to the forum. I live in Cranwell about 8-10 miles South East of you and am a member of ELAC. We had a meeting at Badger Farm last Saturday night which was the clearest dark night we've had for 3 months! It's a good dark sight and makes all the difference when looking for those feint fuzzies etc, we also hold impromtu nights there when the forecast is good so keep an eye on the ELAC pages (or website), you will be most welcome.. :)

Guest nightingale

Thanks everyone ! Looking forward to meet you all .

Ron...last Saturday ...damn missed it right ? well....lets hope we have such nights again and again . Anyway ....I am really keen to come to the meets . where would I see the posts for meets ? is there a particular site like the one you have just mentioned ? 

Laks

Hi and welcome to the forum. Whichever site you do decide to visit, you can be assured of a warm welcome and a brew.

Guest nightingale

great ...sounds wonderful ...was looking at the East Lincs Astronomy Club Site  ...next meet is in April isn't it ? Shall make sure to be there . 

Guest nightingale

Just a doubt ...hope i don't sound too silly :(  !! I have a Canon 450D DSLR camera  and a few good canon and sigma lenses . will I be able to use this for Astro photography and what other stuff will I need to start this ? Will my telescope support  some photography ? I didn't get much info from the web regarding this and all the review reading left me confused !!! :(

Still waiting for the delivery  :)

You will be able to do some widefield astrophotography with your canon and lenses, limited to between 20 or 30 seconds on a normal camera tripod and which lens you are using. If your telescope tripod is motor driven you would be able to attach your camera to do some basic astrophotography.