• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Lincoln

Guest nightingale

No need to apologise and your enthusiasm is infectious-I've only been doing this 2 years and reading your posts makes me feel excited again :)

My two pence worth here is if you're already thinking of upgrading with a view to not having to do it in 2 years time would be to go for as solid a mount as possible. Despite the more advanced mounts being a little heavier there are always ways of making transporting them easier. It example I use an NEQ6 Pro. The NEQ6 mount head weighs 16kg and I keep it in a pelicase 1600 to make it easier to handle. If I had an injury to either arm I would still use this mount but perhaps utilise a small trolley to aid transport and minimise actual lifting.
My main point is that if you're thinking of upgrading maybe take your time, (as Daz suggests) meet up with people and have look, have a go and get a feel for the different equipment and upgrade just the once.

I was the same when I upgraded, I was excited and read all I could and posted on here. However only when I went to meet people and see the size of scopes and mounts did it sink in and I could make a better informed decision.

If you want to do imaging I would recommend the Skywatcher HEQ5 as a minimum and ideally if funds allow the NEQ6 Pro. Recently NEQ6 mounts have been going it as little as £525 on ABS second hand and astro people tend to take very good care of their equipment.

In summary, take your time, try things out and get ya hands on the gear before upgrading :)

Edited by catman161

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brantuk

• Daz Type-R

• RonC

• oldfruit

"you will have no chance with an EQ mount"

I sort of agree with this - some folks just don't get along with the equatorial mounts at all. Personally I find them dead easy to handle and I think there are far more people who can handle them, than those that don't. From what you say about yourself I think you'll have no problem. For imaging though - unless you are going to stick to snapping planets only - an equatorial mount is pretty much mandatory. :)

(Oh yes - if you want to upgrade to 150P on EQ3-2 then that would be a good upgrade - but again beware - the "PL" model is the longer focal length one that is good for planets. Whereas the "P" model has better dso imaging possibilities. "P" = Parabolic, "PL" - Parabolic Long focal length)

Edited by Brantuk

The PDS models are better for deep space viewing 130,150,200 or 250 models. The HEQ5 isn't that heavy if your remove the weights, bar and OTA!  :)

Cheers

Ron

Guest nightingale

Hmm...interesting stuff !! I love this . I have learnt so much from you all . I will think and then try an upgrade. I have to read a bit about the other mount HEQ 5 ,,,what Felix and Ron have suggested ... in another month I will decide  that is if I really want to at this moment, as I am rather pleased with mine now . Btw..I took mine out yesterday and saw the moon and Jupiter and as it was pretty chill outside last night, then I came back in to sort out my dinner which was about 15 mins -20mins. When I went out again there was lots of dew on the scope . My eyepiece and the scope lens were closed . I then brought it back inside. will dew and cold harm the scope's capability ?

One more ...thing ...I returned my 6mm eyepiece and ordered a 18mm X CEL LX and a deluxe X2 Barlow ( a big hole in my pocket ) ... I hope I have done the right thing  :)

Delivery came in this morning ...so excited again ...but what's all this fog about ???... I am Teaching today...see you later !! 

Ah dew! There's a subject in it's self! It will not harm your optics, jusy bring the kit in and let dry at room temparature in it's own time, You can wipe down the outside of the tube etc but let all glass/mirrors dry them selves. :)

Ron