• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First ever galaxies, I will get better (I hope)

Guest VikN46

Guest VikN46

Two galaxies in one pic and numb toes too! M81 and M82. Single frame image with my Dslr, I just got this image before my battery died typical! I know its really not that good or very well processed (will try again after some sleep :)) but again its a start (and I had the dreaded LED streetlight shining bright as the council still haven't dimmed it or shielded it as promised :angry: )

Single shot image with Canon 650D DSLR

ISO 200

120 Secs - non guided

Coma corrector

SW 150PDS on EQ5 pro

Taken using Backyard EOS

Processed (in a way!) in Paint shop PRO X6

Anyway here it is :unsure:

12918645574_af799511c6.jpg
m8103.03.14 by VikN46, on Flickr

Edited by VikN46

That's really good.

Can i suggest you list all your kit that you used to get this shot, then you are eligible to be entered into POTM. (Picture of the month).

Edited by Daz Type-R

A single shot?! Blimey, impressive.

What camera and settings did you use?

Really good.

Jd

Excellent first shot Vicky, and two in one!!

Look forward to seeing more.

Ade

Ade - you can observe M81/M82 in a wide, low power, eyepiece. You can also get the Leo Triplet in the same field of view for a "3 in 1" experience. :)

You have to find them first  :D Still reading "Turn Left at Orion"  :facepalm:

Ade - you can observe M81/M82 in a wide, low power, eyepiece. You can also get the Leo Triplet in the same field of view for a "3 in 1" experience. :)

Yep done that, M81 + M82 in the same field of view with my 13mm ep!

:respect:

Hi

our estate is just changing over to the LED lights, they seem better than the old orange sodium lights (I can actually see some stars in the north now)although I only have a small pair of binoculars at the moment, will they put some kind of shield on if you contact them, sorry for asking but have not heard that they do that before.

regards

Rick

If they are shining into a window on your property, they are obliged to put a shield up.

Guest VikN46

Hi everyone, thanks for the encouragement! Need to get my guide camera and PHD liking each other a bit better seems a bit hit and miss at the mo and didn't work when it mattered last night :(, so looking forward to being to see what I can get with much longer exposures, best I have got is about 200 secs unguided at the mo.

With regard to the LED lights mine is in an alleyway next to my house and the light is on, not only does it light my garden up like a beacon it also shines straight into my conservatory/dining room its that bright we can eat our dinner with the lights off! So this is the reason I wrote to the council with as didn't think they would give two hoots about my hobby, they are sorting it but its taking a long while.......I was also fortunate to notice a few up the road had been changed and took before and after pics for proof of how much brighter they were.

Thanks again all! :)

Edited by VikN46

Make sure you're using PHD 1.2 and not v2, it's better than v2. Makes life a lot easier!! :)

I couldn't get PHD working with that setup so switched to Metaguide instead. It's not quite as straightforward but when you get it going it does work well.

Guest VikN46

Oh ok, will download it and try again! Thanks for the advice. In PHD it recognises the camera (which was a battle in itself!) but then will not connect to the mount ( using 'on camera') any idea if this is because it has to be set up in a particular  order?

Edited by VikN46

That's the right order but it didn't work for me. Something that caught me out in Metaguide was not putting the declination of the object in if using ST4. It would not calibrate. Once I'd reread the docs and added it in, it worked straight off.

Nice Image Vicky. Looks like quite a bit of detail for 1 single exposure!

Thanks for sharing