• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stand alone piers

dawson

I've been looking at these-great minds think alike :) there's one on ABS for £95

Does anyone have any experience of these sort of piers which are not fixed permanently to the ground:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-pillar-mount-support-for-heq5-eq6-series-mounts.html

How does their stability compare to a bog standard tripod?

Thanks.

Jd

Hi James

If you want to know how stable they are here is a photo of one of the ones I designed and used to make.

Oh and in case you were wondering that is a 10 inch Newt on top of that. :)

1-10%20inch%20scope%20on%20mobile%20pier

Do you still make them graham?

Sadly not Felix.

My little lathe cannot handle the amount of steel needed to be removed from the blanks for the mount ect.

I mean it would do it but it would take so long it is not economically viable. :(

It also does not have a large enough gap between the centers to machine the tubes.

I know Dion at Astronomyshed uses one and rates it highly.

Good comprimise if you can't build a permenant Obsy.

I suspect this will be much lower than the tripod at full height; i need to find out both heights.

Jd

People on SGL are reporting them as very stable. It is just too low for me; it seems the pier is about 90cm above the ground, compared to the 125cm my tripod goes to. An 8" (20cm) extension tube would still mean it would be 15cm lower than at present and which is quite comfortable for my back. I think I'll leave it for now. There is an interesting sketch on SGL of the dimensions:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/102809-eq6-pillar-mount/?p=1016445

JD

Guest fondofchips

There is still the trip hazard of the legs sticking out like a tripod.  Having said that I'm using my tripod in the obsy tonight as my pier isn't made yet.

Clear skies,

Harry.

There is still the trip hazard of the legs sticking out like a tripod.  Having said that I'm using my tripod in the obsy tonight as my pier isn't made yet.

Clear skies,

Harry.

Not for me as I even trip over myself  :)

Not convinced....

Ade

I can't really put a fixed obs in my back garden so was considering a pier where I could leave the HEQ5 set up for short periods once polar aligned

Useful those times when we have a few consecutive days of clear skies  (Yes those times so exist - or so I've been told) protected by my Green Witch scope cover.

Far quicker to get set up in the evening if already aligned.

Had only really looked at the fixed ones, but mobile/semi permanent ones could be an even easier option.