• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ZWO ASI 120MM slow fps rates

red dwalf

as some of you know i`m still having some problems downloading reasonable frames rates with the desktop pc and this camera.

so what i have now done is to load all the software and drivers to the older dell laptop so that the camera will run totally seperate from the desktop pc.

now on thing i`ve noticed while i checked the device manager was that the laptop has an usb 2 enhanced host controller in the list of universal serial bus controllers, something that is not shown on the desktop pc, all thar shows are usb root hubs and i think a usb host controller, anothing stating usb 2 or enhanced controller,

would or could this be the problem i`m getting with the slower fps rate on the desktop pc ?

if so how can i update these controllers, i`ve tried update drivers and nothing happens.

i`ve included a picture of the device manager of the laptop pc, should this be what the universal serial bus controllers should look like on the desktop ? note the one saying usb 2 enhanced host controller.

i havent tried the camera yet on the laptop due to being at work till 10 pm tonight.

untitled_zps47b3ed56.jpg

How slow is slow rob?

If you make the area of the sensor really small, can you get it up?

Jd

If you are running Windows XP on the Desktop (cant remember what you siad - old age) and your haven't installed service packs then USB2 hardware will most likely not be supported as XP as released did not support USB 2 devices - hence the service packs

XP sp3 link here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4

explanation for Windows XP USB2 support (or lack of )  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329632 

Windows 7 will support USB 2 by default.

i had the sensor size to something like 120 x 128 and then i could get good frame rates James, rubbish anything much above that or the exposure time has to be longer as then it suffers from over exposure

thanks Clive, i`ll check out which service pack i`ve got on the desktop, it is windows xp, i must admit i turned alot of the updates off as i only want it for astro and the updates used to slow up the laptop badly.

Rob, have a look at what sort of frame rates you can achieve at the various frame sizes, and I'll compare with mine tomorrow; you can do this in the day time, just tell me the exposure settings and frame size settings.

JD

finally some success !

now loaded all the drivers and software onto the old dell d610 laptop and fired up sharpcap 2, plugged in the camera and i`m very please to inform that it is now showing some excellent frame rates, worry of my mind i must say.

thanks to all for the help and here are the frame rates i`m getting,

1280 x 960 = 21 fps

640 x 480 = 63 fps

320 x 240 = 96 fps

i`m now a happy bunny, wish it would work on the obsy desktop proberly so it can be all running together but hey ho,

So that's with the orig powered USB and cables (the orig set up) ?

Glad to hear its all working .

no that`s using my dell d610 laptop totally on it`s own, camera usb 2 cable and laptop nothing else, i have reinstalled sp3 for windows xp the other night, took almost and hour to do ! but i did notice afterwards the the usb root hubs in device manager now seem to have a allocated amount of power dedicated to the, 10% or something, haven`t tried it on the desktop again since doing it as it was 1.30 am by the time it had finished reinstalling.

Would be interesting to see if the Hub worked or not on the Dell Laptop but I guess if you are able to run the Asi at higher rates who cares  :)

Must have been frustrating.

very frustrating, was worried it might be the camera but thankfully it`s not,

good point about trying the hub on the laptop, i might try that, i don`t like things getting the better of me L.O.L.

• 5 months later...

a little update on an old thread,

today i through away 3 old desktop pc`s one of which was an old medion pc which had a usb 2 pci card fitted to it, as my obsy desktop pc has a space pci slot i thought i would install it and try getting better frames rates on the obsy computer using the zwo 120 mm camera as before it was rubbish and had to use my old laptop to get good frame rates when plantary imaging, anyway the good news is it works ! well it works using just a usb cable and the camera, frame rates are miles better than before which where about 2 fps, now getting 57 fps and lots more on smaller frame sizes.

it still doesn't like the active usb cable but still i can get better frame rates then before, now getting about 5 fps instead of 1 fps L.O.L.

if i can get a 3 meter normal, not active, usb 2 cable i think i should able to run it from the camera to the obsy pc with no problems and be ok for planetary imaging once again without sitting next to the pier in the scope room with a laptop resting on my knees. 

You could use these and std Cat5 cabling to get your length and more

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-over-RJ45-cat5e-5e-cat6-cable-extension-extender-cable-adapter-From-UK-/291120236453?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item43c81e47a5

But I agree with IBBO and I prefer Active Powered Hubs (USB repeaters) to active cables (IMHO)

• 2 weeks later...

a little update,

i bought another usb 2 powered hub, the one recommended by astronomiser, and plugged the ZWO 120 camera into that and it made no difference at all to the frame rates, stiil rubbish and a fail at full resolution.

undeterred and as a last resort i bought a 5 meter long usb 2 extension cable and hooked that to the 2 meter long printer type cable that came with the camera as i needed about 6 meters ish minimum in total length all together, and, it didn`t work.

i thought 7 meters in total might be alittle too long for the signal without a boost, but i swapped the 2 meter cable for a 1.6 meter cable and wouldn`t you know it, it works ! 

at full resolution i`m getting 17 FPS and at 640 x 480 resolution i`m getting 70 - 75 FPS so i`m well happy, about 30 FPS of the manufactures expectations but over that cable distance i can`t complain and am not going to.  

telling me Mick, 

won`t work at all on a active usb cable unless it is 1 FPS or a powered hub, one good thing it now it`s working well on 6.6 meters of cable i can put it outside and take some all sky captures, be nice for the next meteor shower.

Glad your sorted Rob, I tried a 3m active extension on the hub (EQMod plugged into hub) not a hope, direct great!  :wacko:

yep you seem to have no chance if you want more than 1 fps if you use a active cable or powered hub, although i did get a 4 fps using a new usb pci card that i fitted to the computer, but that's still pants to what these cameras are capable of, you can buy 5 meter printer cables Ron which should be ok to use, i almost bought one but needed slightly more length as i was routing the cable around the obsy floor and up the pier which isn`t the shortest route, amazing as the pier is only about 5 feet away from me.

IMO - Reading all the problems people are having with Astro stuff connected via USB(camera's,mounts etc) maybe people should put a dedicated "computer(s)" at the bottom of the pier,use short length direct USB cables (assumes enough usb ports) and connect via "Remote Desktop". Room maybe a problem of course but there are some very small (a brick size or less) and very powerful pc's.

Just a thought

p.s. has anyone got a decent rate (FPS at high res) from ZWO camera - i thought Felix did ?

I use my ASI120MM for guiding at the moment but when I was using it for imaging Jupiter late last year I was getting in excess of 50 fps without any problems, the fps would be higher if I opted to use the "region of interest" setting.

Hi Mark,

What resolution were you using to get 30 FPS?

If you don't mind Mark ,what is your computer  "connection set up" Windows ? Hubs? Cable length? Software ?

Interesting to compare - maybe Rob has a "duff" camera

You were clear last night - every time I looked out it was foggy/cloudy - lucky man

Hi Clive, I am using windows 7 home edition, ASI120MM connected via usb cable,( approx 2m length ). No hubs etc. I tend not to use full resolution for planetary imaging as this is a waste. The image seldom fills the entire chip so I adjust resolution accordingly.  Capture software for planetary imaging is usually Sharpcap. Software for guiding is PHD. Resolution for guiding is 640 x 480 I think. Fps for guiding is 1fps as that is all that is required.

Hope that is of some use?