• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Red dot finder

Big Al

The standard RDF on my Nexstar 6SE has gone flaky. Thought it was the battery, but it looks like the on/off/brightness dial is a bit iffy. Sometimes when it's turned on, nothing happens. Usually, giving the body a hard flick on the side with a finger sorts it, so guess it may be a bad connection or possibly dirt in the switch. 

Has anyone ever taken one apart? Can't see an obvious way of doing this (although I haven't looked too closely yet). Or would I be wasting my time?

Alan

they all seem the same Alan, mine did exactly the same as yours, alittle flick and it would sometimes come on if it felt like it, i would certainly upgrade to something better as i did.

Guest StevenWhatley

I found that sometimes the battery was being held in tight enough on my old one, try bending the clip a little so it has more contact with the battery.

Just a suggestion, as they get bent out over time and changing battery over and over again.

Just a thought before you cut it open with a razor saw  :)

As already said:

Battery Terminals Corroded / Dirty

Brightness / Switch terminals - Try Moving it on / off / up and down many times to see if it helps

Spot of WD40 or like sprayed behind the switch (last resort before breaking it open and then chucking in bin)

Ade

Guest CodnorPaul

Yep happened to mine - replaced it with a Rigel Quickfinder and problem sorted, and the Quickfinder is soooo much better to use, and a lot smaller than a telrad base so on an SCT it is ideal