• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Luna X

PaulG

Last time I captured this feature was 29th of Feb 2012.

I have been looking at this feature for over an hour, it's amazing how it changes in such a short space of time.

original.jpg

That's a cracker Paul, and very clear. (About 1/4 the way up from the bottom on the terminator for those who can't see it yet.)

That's nice. Never seen it before. I was out on Thursday night watching the sun rise over the rim of one feature on the moon for about 3 hours. Just watching it start as a tiny point of light slowly getting bigger curling round to form the whole lip of the rim. Very enjoyable to watch,

Thank you all for the kind comments.

That's a cracker Paul, and very clear. (About 1/4 the way up from the bottom on the terminator for those who can't see it yet.)

Thank you Martyn for pointing the feature out, I completely over looked this.

Yes, well captured. How many hours/days is it usually visible for?

Jd

The feature is normally visible around the time of first quarter moon.

I first spotted it at around 18.45 and the photo was taken at 20.18, i continued watching it until 21.10.

According to Pete Lawrence, the feature is visible for around 4.5 hours.

That's nice. Never seen it before. I was out on Thursday night watching the sun rise over the rim of one feature on the moon for about 3 hours. Just watching it start as a tiny point of light slowly getting bigger curling round to form the whole lip of the rim. Very enjoyable to watch,

That's the most fascinating thing to watch is the shadows that are cast over features of the moon and how they change over a few hours.

When I first saw the post I had no idea what it was all about and I was wondering what had changed  :huh:  :huh:

Now I know.....

Not a change but an X (Guess I should have taken more notice of the title)

Good catch Paul.

Ade