• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Light halo artefact

dawson

Whilst messing around today with the DSLR at prime focus, looking at the moon, in day light, there was an artefact detected by the sensor; a central bright spot and then a halo; using an SCT.

The DSLR was on a 2" 2x Barlow at the time, and come to think of it, I didn't notice the artefact as badly without the Barlow, but it was there as it appears in my daytime moon mosaic.

Does anyone know how it can be erased when taking video footage of say the moon? I tried to take a single frame flat, and loaded it into Registax, but it didn't appear to help.

Thanks for any ideas.

JD

lightartefact_zps5fe56e7a.jpg

It appears the video and flat frame need to be the same size (understandable); the video is 1920x1080; I only took stills for flats and they are much bigger and I can't resize them to this size as it doesn't keep the proportions. Next time (if I ever try this again), I will just take a short video flat so the image sizes are the same.

JD

It appears the video and flat frame need to be the same size (understandable); the video is 1920x1080; I only took stills for flats and they are much bigger and I can't resize them to this size as it doesn't keep the proportions. Next time (if I ever try this again), I will just take a short video flat so the image sizes are the same.

JD

You can resize it in ps. :)

Graham I could resize it, but I think the artefact that isn't in the same place as it was in the original video as the sizse/shape of the area used on the sensor for the two different images was different. I should have done both (data and flat) as either stills, OR video, not try and mix-and-[not]match.

JD