• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Aurora Borealis time lapses

Craig

Yeah, amazing.

I wonder how speeded up the footage is.

I often think about cave men (i don't think it's a fetish) and i just wonder what they made of the lights!? I'm surprised there aren't more [any] folk tales amongst northern cultures about them; there may be just that i don't know of them.

Good find craig.

Jd

Thanks Leigh; no £1.99 scope cover for you :)

Northern Lights and Sex

The Aurora Borealis have also been linked to fertility and childbirth, and in Chinese and Japanese cultures it is still believed that a child conceived under the northern lights will be blessed with good fortunes.

In old Icelandic folklore it was also believed that northern lights would ease the pain of childbirth. At the same time though, they believed that pregnant women looking at the Aurora would have cross eyed children.

From: http://www.iglobetrotter.com/norway/northern-lights/northern-lights-myths

JD

I find it fascinating what ancient cultures would think of things like this.

Yeah, amazing.

I wonder how speeded up the footage is.

I often think about cave men (i don't think it's a fetish) and i just wonder what they made of the lights!? I'm surprised there aren't more [any] folk tales amongst northern cultures about them; there may be just that i don't know of them.

Good find craig.

Jd3

James. There are some moving objects on the road. Can't quite think properly but I wondered if it was possible to estimate the speeded upness by the moving objects? However, the distance is missing, even if the speed was chosen at 30-70 mph. But by the look of the vehicles moving, it doesn't look greatly speeded up. You can see them disappear then reappear slightly later in a new position further along.