• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Artefacts in large stacks on Lunar in Registax

philjay

Anyone know whats amiss here?

south.jpgThis crops up regular when Im doing large stacks in registax. By large I mean 20 to 50 tiffs at 56Mb when converted from Cr2 from my 1000d.

There are these odd lines as if partial alignment has occurred. This one from last night is particularly bad.

Funnily enough I don't experience it on my old steam driven desktop its only when processing on my 2 year old Tosh Satellite that I get this. The desktop is painfully slow and trips out with more than 20 large subs to stack hence my using the Tosh which is a lot faster.

Spooky as well as frustrating

Yeah I thought that Steve, initially I was selecting them myself all over the disc with about 20. Then when this cropt up I used the set align points and it sticks loads on, either way I get these lines. This example was with the set align points and there were hundreds of em

try and increase the distance between them

"set min distance between"

I set mine when doing the sun to 80 with raw I would be tempted to maybe increase that

I have never used manual align points.

I always use the 256 alignment square.

Align on a crater near the edge so the edge of the moon is running through the square and hit Align.

Always works for me no matter how large the image.

I've seen them on Jupiter too. I'll watch your experiments with interest.

JD

OK, finally sorted I think.

I have just gone back to manual stacking again, this time only using about 20 alignment points spread across the disc with key ones on the edge and the terminator. Seemed to work, wavelets didn't show any strange lines afterwards.

I reckon my main problem was that I hadn't got the mount tracking on Lunar. Normally at lower F ratios this does not have much of an effect but at F15 and the image size this is at the difference between 1st and last frame positions is quite pronounced thus Registax is having to do a lot of work and shifting so more align points means more possible shifting lines