• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter GRS 11.03.2014

catman161

Scope: 200P      Camera: ASI120MC      Mount: NEQ6 Pro    Accessories: Televue 4x Powermate

Conditions have been very poor where I am recently. At a first (quick) glance it has apeared clear but then when you look properly it is apparent that there is high hazy cloud which shows a halo around the moon. It has been like this for the last 3 "clear" nights I have been out.

It was like that last night, although almost full blown fog really. As I had setup I attempted to get the GRS transit so the below is the best 4000 of 6000 frames captured with Sharpcap 2 and stacked in AS!2. Waveles in Registax 5.1 and further sharpening in Photoshop CS2. I have really had to over process this to get any detail really. One thing I can see is that in this image (despite it's obvious problems) it does show some detail in the GRS which is a first for me. So if conditons are ever good enough in the future I may be able to get some good detail to show across the disc and get tings nice and sharp too.

I have some images of the double shadow transit from the other night but they are terrible and I am unsure whether they are even postable! :)

13114052703_1408c9b4cb_o.png
Jupiter 11_03_2014 20_16_51 sharpest by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Edited by catman161

I have been drier in a swimming pool so much moisture in the air - had to bring in my scope three times for the hair dryer touch. Still your pics still look good.  :thumbsup:

another nice capture Felix, conditions haven`t been to good as you say, look ok but certainly some haze up there, i had another go last night but to combat the Moon and the skyglow i thought i would try the Baader Neodymium Filter, but outcome was fairly poor, will try again with in though,

does the Moon make much of a difference to the imaging conditions of Planets as it does with dso imaging ? 

Another great big image :) Well done. I've just had evening commitments or full on days so no inclination to set up at 7pm when I get home (lazy I know).

This image looks a touch grainy to me, as though it wants more data to smooth that out. Are you having to brighten the image up once processed? I recall you had mentioned you were using tremendous frame rates, have you tried at the standard 1/30-1/60th second exposure times, might it be the raster exposures are collecting the light, but not as much detail? Just a thought.

I can't believe how much bigger and more detailed the new Powermate has made things; you must be really chuffed.

JD

I have been drier in a swimming pool so much moisture in the air - had to bring in my scope three times for the hair dryer touch. Still your pics still look good.  :thumbsup:

Tell me about it Clive! I was setup last night and in just under an hour came in as even with my dew prevention kit on I dewed up!!

another nice capture Felix, conditions haven`t been to good as you say, look ok but certainly some haze up there, i had another go last night but to combat the Moon and the skyglow i thought i would try the Baader Neodymium Filter, but outcome was fairly poor, will try again with in though,

does the Moon make much of a difference to the imaging conditions of Planets as it does with dso imaging ? 

Thanks Rob. I have utilised that very same filter with the camera but for me as there is already a built in IR cut filter I think all it did was make the image darker overall. I have not tried it since.

Another great big image :) Well done. I've just had evening commitments or full on days so no inclination to set up at 7pm when I get home (lazy I know).

This image looks a touch grainy to me, as though it wants more data to smooth that out. Are you having to brighten the image up once processed? I recall you had mentioned you were using tremendous frame rates, have you tried at the standard 1/30-1/60th second exposure times, might it be the raster exposures are collecting the light, but not as much detail? Just a thought.

I can't believe how much bigger and more detailed the new Powermate has made things; you must be really chuffed.

JD

Cheers James. I'm pretty sure it's not tha it requires more data but the fact that I was filming through cloud. It was captured at 35fps and due to the cloud I making the live view very dim I had to up the gain at the high 80's to get any band detail coming through which is the cause of the graininess. I am unable to get the same frame rates with the 4x powermate at present that I was getting with the 2x powermate. Mostly it is the current terrible foggy conditions as mentioned above but also because I have to frame it with a larger frame as the disc is that much bigger with the 4 x powermate which obviously has an effect on the fps. I am surprised I have managed to bring any detail out of the image if I am honest when I looked at the stacked tiff I nearly hit delete immediately!

sweet shot, great result felix super detail

Thanks Peter :) It is frustrating for me at the moment as I have not had the conditions that I have had with the 2x powermate and therefore have not yet sen what the 4x can really do in terms of capturing the kind of detail that I was getting with the 2x albeit at a smaller resolution. But I have managed some images with the 2x powermate that have come out nice and sharp and the detail very crisp. I fear I may have to wait until next winter to really be able to see what the 4x can do, unless we have a nice stable seeing, no high fog/mist cloud free night soon :)

Sorry rob forgot to address your moon question. I think (personally) when the moon is not near the planet that is being imaged it doesn't make that much of a difference. Certainly not like it does for DSO hit with the moon and Jupiter being in their current locations in close proximity to each other I have definitely noticed an effect in my having to tweak capture settings.

Nice image there, I like it :)

Cheers Sheila :) like I said lots wrong with it but just need good conditions and more practice with the 4x powermate to work out best settings (generally) then tweak for the conditions etc. Hope to get some much sharper, less noisy shots before jupes leaves the skies this year.

Already done that Leigh and then reduced opacity of the blur to bring detail out. Any higher than 65% causes it to appear out of focus and detail is significantly less noticeable. Thanks though :)

Felix, I did a bicubic shrink on the pic. I wondering if, given the conditions, you have a case of too little data spread over too many pixels?

FelixJup.jpg

That's a cracking image and I think the resize works really well. It's sharper.

When I look towards the left of the image I keep thinking I'm seeing a ghosted image (like there are two images not quite superimposed accurately). I'm no imager but in photography suites I have often seen this when using automatic alignment whilst stacking exposures. Something similar happening here?

Hey Craig-yes that's exactly what's happened here. Not sure how as it was stacked in AS!2 with auto align points so not sure has happened. Not sure how to get rid of it either. Am currently gathering more Avis. Seeing is better tonight than of late and the GRS is currently transiting so am hopefuls for some better images tomorrow :)

Looking forward to the next image then! :D

It's good to know my photography know-how is a little transferable. :P