• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M82 finally

Teslar

Well I had to have a go after I got my NEQ6 fixed. So on 28th Feb I thought I'd try and catch the super nova before it dimmed too much. Sadly my processing skills are lacking still and also I'm not guiding yet as have had too many other issues going on to deal with. This was 60 subs each 45seconds. Probably not the best settings. Taken with a QHY8L with my 10" Newtonian. The processing was all done in nebulosity 3 as that's all I've had any experience to date. Here is the result and any advice is welcome

Posted Image

Thanks Rob. I wasn't guiding and also it was first light on the 10" and I wasn't sure how hard to push it being an F4

That's cool, good to see the SN is still on show.

I'm surprised there isn't more data if you did 60 subs at 45 seconds each. It might be that it just needs processing harder.

But well done on capturing it, nice to have imaged it, I agree.

JD

Thats an excellent image for such short subs. Might be worth having a play with Photoshop if you have a version to see if it can be stretched any more?

I've been having some issues with my new (secondhand) EQ6 so not had a chance to image the supernova. Looks like its still bright enough to be seen. Firing up the new mount tonight to get it all set up now I've sorted (hopefully) my problems, ready to have a go when the moon disappears.

Dave

Thanks folks I have PS5 but will need to watch some tutorials before I use it. Hopefully I can pull a little more out of it in the processing :

Can you post a link to the large stacked file? Someone might be able to have a quick play with it and see if there is more detail to emerge.

Jd

Couldn't seem to get it to upload I tried to get a bit more out of it. Still using Neb3

Posted Image