• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Pay TV

While replying to the thread on Sky at Night, I stated my opinion that if we don't support it, it will go to pay channels. This got me thinking: am I in a minority here in that I don't have Sky or anything like that?

I'm generally on a quite tight budget (it's a long story, literally!) and if I had spare dosh, I'd rather spend it on more astro gear and trips out with the family.

I do not have Sky Tv either. Free view seems to cover my needs. Plus between work, wife and kids and Astronomy I would not get the time to watch it anyway. :)

must admit, i have a virgin media deal, bvut the rubbish that is on most of it is appalling, every few months i complain and reduce the package,most things no days you can view on the internet anyway 

I have virgin bundle for tv,phone and broadband. I find it good value as I do not generally follow English sports as they do not interest me. I am a big fan of NBA and European basketball and also American football. I generally get very good package deals as a ) I have been with virgin for over a decade, b ) in that time numerous mistakes have been by them that in this time of consumer satisfaction and target driven business will always result in customer leverage I have used to my advantage and c ) I'm an unashamed haggler :) I'n the last 12 months I have made 2 executive level complaints that have resulted in my getting the service that I was promised and at a price that I thought was worth paying. The customer is always right :) also I you do not ask, you do not get. The thing with service provision is that the business generally needs to sell more than you need to buy-take full advantage and get the best deals you can and then there is more can available for hobbies like astro :D

No Sky,Virgin etc - couldn't even if I wanted -  bad enough trying to get decent broadband (Yes BBC lots of us wouldn't watch BBC3 online because we can't.)

Anyway Freeview ,as others have said, is ok but too many repeats (Flash Gordon is on together with the Hill Billies  :( ) they could cut the channels down by 60% and I ,for one, wouldn't notice - Just leave Quest for my Fishing. Repeats are for "Catch up on demand".

As for cheap (and they are) reality /game shows  :angryface:  :nonono:  :ill:

What we need is a dedicated Astro Channel - Hello Astro Traders are you missing a trick  :whistle: Doesn't have to be 24 x 7 so take over one of the Teleshopping bits. I might even subscribe to that as Pay as you view - Maybe  :)

As Mr Sugar said - news readers are just autoque readers who get paid too much. 

Freeview only for us, haven't used a video for years, although I'm considering a Humax Freeview HD box as a possible upgrade. Also do have a Roku box but the only paid extra I use is Netflix. Might consider Vermin Media at some point - I get junk mail from them every week so they might wear me down eventually... 

To quote the words of Pink Floyd's "Nobody's Home" - I've got fourteen channels of sh1t on the TV to choose from. I think that needs updating a bit.

Alan

Sky minimum package here + Freeview, still enjoy watching DVD's as much as anything! Looks like we're getting superfast broadband between April and July this year, let's hope so (eh Clive!?)

Cheers

Ron

Sky minimum package here + Freeview, still enjoy watching DVD's as much as anything! Looks like we're getting superfast broadband between April and July this year, let's hope so (eh Clive!?)

Cheers

Ron

The one good thing to come out of renewing my water supply pipe ( had 2nd leak in 2 yrs) is that I got the guys to stick a extn to the old pipe so that it pops up at the bottom of my drive. I am hoping then to get Fibre to my house down the old water pipe (1 inch) after BT has done the cabinet (which is opp your house - nearly) even if I have to run the Fibre myself  - Stell maybe a PIPE DREAM  :D

No Sky,Virgin etc - couldn't even if I wanted -  bad enough trying to get decent broadband (Yes BBC lots of us wouldn't watch BBC3 online because we can't.)

Anyway Freeview ,as others have said, is ok but too many repeats (Flash Gordon is on together with the Hill Billies  :( ) they could cut the channels down by 60% and I ,for one, wouldn't notice - Just leave Quest for my Fishing. Repeats are for "Catch up on demand".

As for cheap (and they are) reality /game shows  :angryface:  :nonono:  :ill:

What we need is a dedicated Astro Channel - Hello Astro Traders are you missing a trick  :whistle: Doesn't have to be 24 x 7 so take over one of the Teleshopping bits. I might even subscribe to that as Pay as you view - Maybe  :)

As Mr Sugar said - news readers are just autoque readers who get paid too much. 

I sometimes watch the fishing. I used to fish a lot but, to all intents and purposes, I gave up any pretensions to be a "serious" angler since my daughter was born in 1990. I packed up in 2003, partly due to back trouble and the fact that we moved offices. I've thought about starting again but I seem to get less time.

I actually became a published writer in 1980 when I wrote a spoof about catching minnows.

I have virgin bundle for tv,phone and broadband. I find it good value as I do not generally follow English sports as they do not interest me. I am a big fan of NBA and European basketball and also American football. I generally get very good package deals as a ) I have been with virgin for over a decade, b ) in that time numerous mistakes have been by them that in this time of consumer satisfaction and target driven business will always result in customer leverage I have used to my advantage and c ) I'm an unashamed haggler :) I'n the last 12 months I have made 2 executive level complaints that have resulted in my getting the service that I was promised and at a price that I thought was worth paying. The customer is always right :) also I you do not ask, you do not get. The thing with service provision is that the business generally needs to sell more than you need to buy-take full advantage and get the best deals you can and then there is more can available for hobbies like astro :D

I've thought about moving to Virgin Media for the broadband. I'm paying over £20 a month at the moment (far too much in my opinion) but it is difficult to switch, as it means going offline for a few days. I work from home and my wife, daughter and I are heavy recreational users. I looked at the BT packages but most of them have a data cap, no good for me.

I sometimes watch the fishing. I used to fish a lot but, to all intents and purposes, I gave up any pretensions to be a "serious" angler since my daughter was born in 1990. I packed up in 2003, partly due to back trouble and the fact that we moved offices. I've thought about starting again but I seem to get less time.

I actually became a published writer in 1980 when I wrote a spoof about catching minnows.

Yeh I was an expert at catching "minows" and gudgeon especially on the Trent  :)

Shame you should take it up again its relaxing and stress free - even if you don't catch anything you can take pics and watch the wild life.

Yeh I was an expert at catching "minows" and gudgeon especially on the Trent :)

Shame you should take it up again its relaxing and stress free - even if you don't catch anything you can take pics and watch the wild life.

Oh man gudgeon! I remember then as either nuisance fish or if you were having a blank session A NUISANCE FISH! :) that reminds me, my fishing license expires at the end of the month and river fishing is out, lake/certain stretches of canal fishing is in :)

NTL for all of the Discovery/Eden/NatGeo tech programs plus BBC4 for foreign language like Spiral/Borgen/Wallander, etc.

But apart from that if they were on Freeview I'd bin it.

Oh man gudgeon! I remember then as either nuisance fish or if you were having a blank session A NUISANCE FISH! :) that reminds me, my fishing license expires at the end of the month and river fishing is out, lake/certain stretches of canal fishing is in :)

Yep I think I actually held the unofficial record weight for a Gudgeon (4 oz old money) - The Trent use to be full of them - NOw like Sparrows they seem to have gone walk about.  I blame S/Trent the outfall from the sewage works produced what was known as the "Golden Mile" - then they "cleaned it up" and the fishing went with it.

Plenty of close season stuff in Lincolnshire - mainly Carp (boring) - so its "tight lines" and "Clear Skies" 

Virgin Tivo box with Sky sports bundle.

I'm also spoilt Craig  :lol:

:D

NTL

That takes me back!

:D

That takes me back!

Didn't they have HQ in Colwick  Nottm (Diamond Cable/NTL)

No package with tv -only broadband,calls (free > 7pm for 1 hr then redial; free weekend calls)for I think about £7.50/month plus line rental of about £15/month - all from Talktalk. Unlim. Speed is not that good ~ 2-3 Mbps but is still ok for playing iplayer on internet tv.

When my house was built, builders subbed out the laying of cable tv pipes. They missed the last two houses where they are not connected to the street. For the last 16 years I've occasionally enquired about better broadband, and since optical broadband came in - that one. But ntl or e.g other said at each enquiry,they can't offer because they "have no plans for that area" yet. Of course they don't because the street "has" been done years ago. They're not going to come in now or even just for one or two houses. So, I think the legacy building mistake/oversite prevents me from having optical broadband, ever.

But I don't get any of the pay channels. Freeview is enough.

Derek

Guest fondofchips

Like Felix I just hammer the price down where I can.  I'm not very happy with Talk Talk, the price has steadily crept up.

Then they cheekily tried to get me to have a fibre optic connection at £10 extra month, soon told them that my usage didn't warrant the faster connection & they should have seen that before calling me.

I've waited until they called me this week to renew the contract and I told them it was too dear, they offered me the TV channels free, and I told them that the connection wasn't fast enough for BBC iplayer, just stutters all the time.  (It's been faster since their phone call though).

I told them I'm going unless they match the price quoted by EE which will be difficult as EE discount the service by £5 a month if you have your moblie with them.

So I sent both of their reps away with a flea in their ear.

Have Freeview & Freesat, but mainly play DVD's and resell them on fleabay.  Don't skimp though, just watched Gravity 3D, the second part of the Hobbit is on order & Elementary has just arrived from the USA, (better than the BBC Sherlock, though they are both OK).

Cheers,

Harry.

Only advantage of a good Virgin media package is the speed of the broadband, just been informed I'm being upgraded free of charge from 60 to 100 Mbs later this year this was the only reason I left sky can only offer at best 12Mbs as had both for the last 3 years :o

Been with Virgin since the NTL days (2001 I think) and still use my NTLWORLD email as a spare

As with Felix you have to ask to speak to a person in charge the everyday bods can't discount etc. and wont :facepalm:

Best place to get a better package discounted is when you get put through to "cancelation of subscription department" they will try and keep you so go low and meet in the middle its worked for me :lol: shame cant use it with some of these astro companies :D  :D  :D  :D  no no only joking I know they cut their profits very close :rolleyes: