• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Pay TV

I have the lot, SKY TV, Phone and Broadband, 12 Mb download, 1 MB upload, unlimited (truly is) broadband, free calls weekends and after 18:00, have all the kids channels (Octonauts is brilliant and teaches them so much about creatures, we regularly play Octounauts, diving down to the Mariana Trench to find deep see creatures) , all the science stuff for me and my son (he loves air crash investigations - he's only 4, although have to stop watching that close to holiday time) and we also have sports for the wife and F1 for me and my son.

I love my documentaries in HD 5.1 surround sound, and F1 is awesome as well so have that, multi-room in the bedroom and conservatory and also sky go over 4 mobile devices.

Some might say that is far too much, but we still go out on a night, weekends are spent outside with my son (weather permitting) so he is not sat in front of the TV all day and if it is clear, I`m out with the scope.

I like choice, I like variety, and i like the ability to choose to watch something or not.

TV (if used properly and in moderation) can also be a great educational tool.

I have the lot, SKY TV, Phone and Broadband, 12 Mb download, 1 MB upload, unlimited (truly is) broadband, free calls weekends and after 18:00, have all the kids channels (Octonauts is brilliant and teaches them so much about creatures, we regularly play Octounauts, diving down to the Mariana Trench to find deep see creatures) , all the science stuff for me and my son (he loves air crash investigations - he's only 4, although have to stop watching that close to holiday time) and we also have sports for the wife and F1 for me and my son.

I love my documentaries in HD 5.1 surround sound, and F1 is awesome as well so have that, multi-room in the bedroom and conservatory and also sky go over 4 mobile devices.

Some might say that is far too much, but we still go out on a night, weekends are spent outside with my son (weather permitting) so he is not sat in front of the TV all day and if it is clear, I`m out with the scope.

I like choice, I like variety, and i like the ability to choose to watch something or not.

TV (if used properly and in moderation) can also be a great educational tool.

Spoken like an educated parent B)

Edited by Allan the Plumber

Like Felix I just hammer the price down where I can. I'm not very happy with Talk Talk, the price has steadily crept up.

Then they cheekily tried to get me to have a fibre optic connection at £10 extra month, soon told them that my usage didn't warrant the faster connection & they should have seen that before calling me.

I've waited until they called me this week to renew the contract and I told them it was too dear, they offered me the TV channels free, and I told them that the connection wasn't fast enough for BBC iplayer, just stutters all the time. (It's been faster since their phone call though).

I told them I'm going unless they match the price quoted by EE which will be difficult as EE discount the service by £5 a month if you have your moblie with them.

So I sent both of their reps away with a flea in their ear.

Have Freeview & Freesat, but mainly play DVD's and resell them on fleabay. Don't skimp though, just watched Gravity 3D, the second part of the Hobbit is on order & Elementary has just arrived from the USA, (better than the BBC Sherlock, though they are both OK).

Cheers,

Harry.

Harry my wife and I love elementary too. When I first saw season 1 I was a little skeptical at Lucy Liu as Watson but she grew on me. Jonny lee miller is awesome as Sherlock.

If you like police style dramas and haven't watched already you should check out Line of Duty. It's not like Sherlock with regards to solving puzzles/cases but it is a very gritty British police drama and is a goo quick watch in tht season 1 is only 5 episodes. Season two completes next Thursday and is only 6 episodes. All available on blinkbox for reasonable price :)

Wire in the Blood for me but then I like Geordie humour - plus Mr Green is a keen fisherman so can't be all bad

Yeh I was an expert at catching "minows" and gudgeon especially on the Trent  :)

Shame you should take it up again its relaxing and stress free - even if you don't catch anything you can take pics and watch the wild life.

Interesting: I fished the Trent twice. Once in the first ever universities competition with a single roach of 10.5 ozs taken on feeder. I finished 19th, more than a quarter of the way up the field.

I later went as a steward to the national, no longer fishing in competitions at that time. We fished the day after and I caught chub and skimmers but no gudgeon.

At the time I remember matchmen targetting 5lb of gudgeon on the Trent. IMO, difficult as it is probably 100+ fish. I once had a 2oz "whopper" gudgeon from the Thames.

Yep I think I actually held the unofficial record weight for a Gudgeon (4 oz old money) - The Trent use to be full of them - NOw like Sparrows they seem to have gone walk about.  I blame S/Trent the outfall from the sewage works produced what was known as the "Golden Mile" - then they "cleaned it up" and the fishing went with it.

Plenty of close season stuff in Lincolnshire - mainly Carp (boring) - so its "tight lines" and "Clear Skies" 

That is SOME gudgeon!

Sounds like VM may be good but I'm keeping my calls with OneTel (now part of TalkTalk). We pay a fixed sum for most international calls, including Chile and we don't want to be in a situation when a family member is ill and we have to worry about the 'phone bill.

Guest fondofchips

Could go on all day about cop series, The Bridge, BBC, Swedish/Danish production with English Subtitles is looking good, only watched 2 episodes so far.

Luther, BBC, a very highly strung & thorough cop, a bit mental, might not suit all tastes.  Looks like Lenny Henry but is very serious.

Line of Duty, got it Felix, not watched it yet.

Law & Order UK, Bradley Walsh plays a very good recovering alcoholic Detective, watched 4 series so far.  Now watching the USA versions from the beginning.

Flashpoint - Canadian TV series about a SWAT team, DVD's for this are a bit of a nightmare, series 1 22 episodes (ITV), then Sky poached it from ITV & now no UK DVD's are available.  Only available as a German/Dutch import from series 2 the amount of episodes varies from 8 - 11, and there is some overlap if you purchase DVD's from the different countries.  Still worth the effort though.

Vera - ITV, starts off a bit scrappy but soon becomes a really good series.

The Closer, really good cop series & funny as well.

Played - on 5 USA at the moment, undercover cop team, very well done.

Wire in the Blood - totally agree with Clive (Stash), don't know why they didn't do more series of it.  Waking the Dead, very similar, Trevor Eve not my favourite actor but the supporting cast is very good.

Non - cop stuff.

Game of Thrones, takes a while to really get going in Season 1, but just gets better as it goes on.

Vikings - watched 2 episodes so far, looking very good & is following the historic events fairly closely.

Sci-Fi

Continuum - a bit of both here. sci-fi cop series set in 2 different timelines.  Really good storyline connection between the 2 timelines 2012 & 2077.

Falling Skies - watched 2 series so far very good.

Defiance - some pedigree here as Rockne S. Obannon wrote & produced it (Farscape, Alien Nation) - despite it's video game connections the CG effects & the battle scenes are very good.  If you have not watched Farscape then it is very good also, a must on DVD though as every episode needs to be watched in order to see it at its best.

Arrow, not the Smallville spin off I expected, Green Arrow is played by a different actor and is a good series in its own right.

Others

House of Cards - unusual I thought to see Kevin Spacey in a TV series, took a chance & thoroughly enjoyed it. Might not be everyone's cup of tea though as it is about USA politicians and their skullduggery.

Family viewing - check out Once Upon a Time, series, about fairytale characters trapped in a Town called Storybrooke by an ancient curse, good for all ages.

Cheers,

Harry.

Could go on all day about cop series, The Bridge, BBC, Swedish/Danish production with English Subtitles is looking good, only watched 2 episodes so far.

Luther, BBC, a very highly strung & thorough cop, a bit mental, might not suit all tastes.  Looks like Lenny Henry but is very serious.

Law & Order UK, Bradley Walsh plays a very good recovering alcoholic Detective, watched 4 series so far.  Now watching the USA versions from the beginning.

Flashpoint - Canadian TV series about a SWAT team, DVD's for this are a bit of a nightmare, series 1 22 episodes (ITV), then Sky poached it from ITV & now no UK DVD's are available.  Only available as a German/Dutch import from series 2 the amount of episodes varies from 8 - 11, and there is some overlap if you purchase DVD's from the different countries.  Still worth the effort though.

Wire in the Blood - totally agree with Clive (Stash), don't know why they didn't do more series of it.  Waking the Dead, very similar, Trevor Eve not my favourite actor but the supporting cast is very good.

Non - cop stuff.

Game of Thrones, takes a while to really get going in Season 1, but just gets better as it goes on.

Vikings - watched 2 episodes so far, looking very good & is following the historic events fairly closely.

Sci-Fi

Continuum - a bit of both here. sci-fi cop series set in 2 different timelines.  Really good storyline connection between the 2 timelines 2012 & 2077.

Defiance - some pedigree here as Rockne S. Obannon wrote & produced it (Farscape, Alien Nation) - despite it's video game connections the CG effects & the battle scenes are very good.  If you have not watched Farscape then it is very good also, a must on DVD though as every episode needs to be watched in order to see it at its best.

Arrow, not the Smallville spin off I expected, Green Arrow is played by a different actor and is a good series in its own right.

Others

House of Cards - unusual I thought to see Kevin Spacey in a TV series, took a chance & thoroughly enjoyed it. Might not be everyone's cup of tea though as it is about USA politicians and their skullduggery.

Family viewing - check out Once Upon a Time, series, about fairytale characters trapped in a Town called Storybrooke by an ancient curse, good for all ages.

Cheers,

Harry.

Leave "Eddie" the EX IT man alone - nope your right he's a bit up his +++++

Luther, BBC, a very highly strung & thorough cop, a bit mental, might not suit all tastes. Looks like Lenny Henry but is very serious.

Law & Order UK, Bradley Walsh plays a very good recovering alcoholic Detective, watched 4 series so far. Now watching the USA versions from the beginning.

Flashpoint - Canadian TV series about a SWAT team, DVD's for this are a bit of a nightmare, series 1 22 episodes (ITV), then Sky poached it from ITV & now no UK DVD's are available. Only available as a German/Dutch import from series 2 the amount of episodes varies from 8 - 11, and there is some overlap if you purchase DVD's from the different countries. Still worth the effort though.

Wire in the Blood - totally agree with Clive (Stash), don't know why they didn't do more series of it. Waking the Dead, very similar, Trevor Eve not my favourite actor but the supporting cast is very good.

Non - cop stuff.

Sci-Fi

Continuum - a bit of both here. sci-fi cop series set in 2 different timelines. Really good storyline connection between the 2 timelines 2012 & 2077.

Defiance - some pedigree here as Rockne S. Obannon wrote & produced it (Farscape, Alien Nation) - despite it's video game connections the CG effects & the battle scenes are very good. If you have not watched Farscape then it is very good also, a must on DVD though as every episode needs to be watched in order to see it at its best.

Others

Cheers,

Harry.

You and I have loads in common when it comes to TV Harry! How we didn't get on this subject at wymeswold that night I don't know!

If you like the bridge you should definitely check out the tunnel-I am not sure which came first, I believe possibly it was the bridge. But same format.

Arrow is awesome, as is Luther. I have seen all available episodes of falling skies. Season 4 of game of thrones is back soon.

If you haven't already watch all seasons of dexter-big of a slump in seasons 3&4 but worth struggling through. Then of course there is the awesome breaking bad which needs no introduction!

Guest peepshow

It's all mostly crap so I don't pay for anything, including BBC TV so I don't grumble...

............send for the pirate van. :D

Freeview here but recently got a talk talk TV box foisted on me. I switched it on once! Nuff said :(

Virgin Media Cable here:

Basic Phone as I use a VOIP / SIPS phone with VoipTalk at 1000mins per month worldwide with no call duration constraints for £5. (Used to work for US companies)

TV M+ - Was on the largest package but so many channels and so much rubbish and so downgraded with a Tivo Box at a good price as I threatened to leave VM.

Wireless Broadband with latest dual band super hub with high speed capabilities - Also part of the deal  :)  :)

I'm happy now for the next 12months or so  ;)  ;)

Ade