• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finally the new website

My latest project was to revamp my website. Please look at it: http://philippugh.comlu.com/index.html

The text will appear large on a PC screen but I have made it so to enable people to read it on smartphones and tablets.

I think I've given it a proper test but please let me know otherwise by posting here or getting my e-mail address from the site.

I know many of you follow my blog updates and you will also be aware that I usually see or photograph something every clear day and evening and any notices, news, comments and photos I tweet.

If any regulars want their site or blog linked from my site, please let me know. Just please cross-link back to mine and let me know if your links have changed.

Thanks,

Phil.

Unfortunately on my iphone, when i click the link i get your website with yellow text on a white background; impossible to read. I'm happy to look again after further fiddling.

Jd

I think the new website is a big improvement on the old one. Simple to navigate on my Galaxy Note 3, and you always know exactly where you are within it and how to get back. The text is all easy to read for me.

I tried every link but could not get the following ones to do anything, but maybe you just haven't implemented them yet.

Recent content

Phils books

External resource links

Astronomy forums

About

Please get a bigger go button, I keep missing it on the phone because it is so tiny.

It is a much more usable site now Phil, but as Ron says, could do with some DSOs :)

Unfortunately on my iphone, when i click the link i get your website with yellow text on a white background; impossible to read. I'm happy to look again after further fiddling.

Jd

Strange, the background should be "starry". The current background I am using is Melotte 20. Try refreshing or waiting for the load to complete.

I think the new website is a big improvement on the old one. Simple to navigate on my Galaxy Note 3, and you always know exactly where you are within it and how to get back. The text is all easy to read for me.

I tried every link but could not get the following ones to do anything, but maybe you just haven't implemented them yet.

Recent content

Phils books

External resource links

Astronomy forums

About

Please get a bigger go button, I keep missing it on the phone because it is so tiny.

It is a much more usable site now Phil, but as Ron says, could do with some DSOs :)

These are headers (in capitals) and you need to click the items below.

These are headers (in capitals) and you need to click the items below.

I've had a thought about this and I will link explanatory pages from the headers. Could take a while but worth doing.

I don't know how to make the GO button bigger, as I didn't write the code that does it but I'll try and think of something.

I've waited, and refreshed:

C7DC24D7-599E-4018-AC8D-29BA6615C5D6_zps

Jd

Thanks, James. I'm not sure why this happens but, for some reason, it is not picking up my background. It may be better when I've created the mirror sites but I'm putting more information on my menu options at the moment. And then there's 258 images from today to sort.

Guest ecopley

It works fine on my android. The selection box at the top is almost too wee, though.

I had no idea you were published so widely. Kudos!

It works fine on my android. The selection box at the top is almost too wee, though.

I had no idea you were published so widely. Kudos!

Thanks. I don't say much about my writing here as I have been advised that it is advertising, even though much of my recent writing is free to view on the net!

Whilst I'm not the first to admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable and certainly not the best equipped, I do have a flair for presenting what I do know and, indeed, it has been part of my "day job" for 25 years. I'm a telecommunications instructor but have also developed courses as well.

I'll see how I can enlarge the selection box but it is difficult when I am picking up (legally may I add!) web code from other sources.

Well thanks for the replies and I'm doing what I can when I can. This blog entry details the changes I'm making: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.fr/2014/03/website-re-launch.html.

The responses to this thread explain why THIS forum is the first one you come to under my ASTRONOMY FORUMS heading. The number and quality of replies to threads here is excellent and its why people who live miles from the East Midlands like to come on here.

Thanks. I don't say much about my writing here as I have been advised that it is advertising, even though much of my recent writing is free to view on the net!

I don't think it was quite like that, but we don't want endless promotion either. :P

I'd suggest sticking a link to your website in your signature. A small link is not too intrusive and it follows you around then. :)

I don't think it was quite like that, but we don't want endless promotion either. :P

I'd suggest sticking a link to your website in your signature. A small link is not too intrusive and it follows you around then. :)

Thanks, Craig for the tip. I've also corrected the guinea pig bit. She had a long life but we lost her last year.

I've reworked a few things: http://philippugh.comlu.com/

I've had someone else report the yellow text on white background. Now I doubt if it is how the HTML standards were intended but I've put in code that makes the background black if, for some reason, the browser cannot find my background image. BTW, it is currently Melotte 20 but I change my background from time to time and it is the same on every page. The items in CAPITALS on the drop-down menu are headings and now link to explanations of the menu items below them.

The drop-down menus are now consistent on each page, as as the font sizes. I've included a Software Downloads page but, for now, it re-directs you to the old one until I have thoroughly checked out each link.

I have some ideas about the font size but they are cumbersome, as they ask the user to select their preferred size and I have 2 lots of pages. If anyone knows much about HTML and has some ideas, please let me know.

I am blogging each improvement: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/website-re-launch.html

But every time i click the link, a white box appears in the middle of the screen; it may have text in it but i can't read it, i just have to click the top right cross to close it, it looks like a pop-up which will deter people i suspect

I hope you are finding yellow on black OK. I prefer it to white on black but if the feedback suggests I should change it to white on black please let me know. Bear in mind that most people will get a stellar background.

I have also put a greater variety of pictures on each page to make it more decorative, not just astronomy but also places I have visited.

I have an idea for the font size issue. I've found out how to make it change but the problem is that if you switch pages, you have to click something to change font. My plan is to do an alternative set of pages in smaller font so that you can select a font size and stick with it. As this means creating a near copy of everything, I'm holding off on this one until I'm happy with the basic content. Please keep looking. In order to make the site useful for astronomers, please:

1. Let me know about any "bugs", mis-typings, pictures not coming up, etc

2. Give me the URL of pages that you visit regularly. I'm looking mostly for astronomy but could be "general interest", too

3. Give me the URL of YOUR site. Only strings are you must let me know when it changes (sorry, had issues with this in the past) and you must provide a link back to my home page. This will help you in the Google rankings

4. Give me any suggestions that are not too difficult to do. I spent nearly all day yesterday site testing

With some unhelpful observing weather and time waiting for IT support, I have come on quite well. You can now switch to small text if you are using a PC or a smartphone that actually resizes the text for you. Once in small text mode, you can stay there but I've got some editing to do to allow you to switch to small text from all pages.

I've made the GO box bigger on all small text pages and I need to do this on all large pages.

I've updated Software Downloads and would be VERY interested in anyone who has anything to add, especially webcam drivers, like SPC880 and SPC900, etc.

I've put different sets on images on all pages.

I've found the odd spelling mistake but, generally, thanks to your input, the site is close to fulfilling the vision I had for it.