• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

This may take a while (obsy build thread)

Teslar

Lock fitted and handle as the original handles were missing. I fitted a insurance approved lock. For all that's worth.

ytu3a7ur.jpg

After a quick trip to the hardware store. Yep the local one was open on Easter Sunday. I had to buy a chisel to tidy up the woodwork as the new lock wasn't just a slide in replacement

8anabu9u.jpg

Suffice to say this isn't my only anti theft precaution. The others are not for sharing for obvious reasons ;)

Still work to do Ron. And I don't have a pier yet. I'm thinking if getting an AE pier. But there is an Enginerring fabricator in North Berwick who makes all sorts for the fishing boats. He is trying to persuade me to give him the job but I'd need to give him a drawing. I'm thinking of going that route as he recons he can make one for at least half price :)

Give Graham a nudge on here (Astrotec), I believe he has made a pier for a university's obsy up your neck of the woods. No harm in getting a quote, also you would know that Graham has done this kind of thing before.

(I'm not on commission for Graham ;))

Nice build by the way, loving the views you have!

Edited by Daz Type-R

Give Graham a nudge on here (Astrotec), I believe he has made a pier for a university's obsy up your neck of the woods. No harm in getting a quote, also you would know that Graham has done this kind of thing before.

(I'm not on commission for Graham ;))

Nice build by the way, loving the views you have!

I asked Graham about piers towards back end of last year but he said he doesn't have the correct equipment to make them any longer so not sure he is able, unless any things changed since.

I asked Graham about piers towards back end of last year but he said he doesn't have the correct equipment to make them any longer so not sure he is able, unless any things changed since.

I'm sure I read that somewhere too :(

• 2 weeks later...

Things have slowed down a little but the devil is in the detail. I've been busy at work and life in general so pier still hasn't been bought. But the 12 volt PSU to power the HHPro arrived today :)

une3y2yt.jpg

Edited by Teslar

Get the details right now Tom, saves a lot of promblems down the line.. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Good photo Tom, is that it finished now?? Looks good to me!  :)

Not yet Ron. Pier comes next weekend. So hopefully I can start to finalise the set up then

It was waiting for me today ;)

ugazuvu5.jpg

So off with the wrapping and a heavy lift to the wheelbarrow

6y2ysymu.jpg

So mid way through drilling the holes and the clouds cleared to show the best clear sky for months but I've got no chance of getting set up. Sod's law eh!! :(

Drilling day :)

First I had to cut the studs from the M18 screwed bar

ryqe5yge.jpg

Then drilling commenced with a pilot hole to hopefully minimise wander

ugu3eget.jpg

Then to big 22mm sds :)

eru8y2em.jpg

In my eagerness I drilled too deep so I need a new stud to finish the fourth anchor bolt :(

Been quite lucky so far to one little set back isn't too bad. But it means the mount will not be fully fixed till next week

Some progress made today thankfully. A bit of light/dust proofing. Ive found the dust and pollen from the adjacent oil see rape field to be a real pain so I fitted some brush strip draught excluder to the sliding hatch and it seems to have helped

equvu6an.jpg

And the other opening

6ebabeda.jpg

Then I took that chance and decided to fix the screw bolt anchors into the concrete

sa3u7yde.jpg

That resin certainly sets fast I got three holes done and it had already set in the mixer nozzle. So I had to use a second tube for the last hole. Just as well I'd bought two

a3ygesev.jpg

A quick check with the level as I torqued it down and all looks good:)

7ybyga5u.jpg

Just a pain that pulsar hadn't come through with the replacement pier adapter yet. Heading to a local engineering shop tomorrow to see if they will do the counter bore for me. All it needs is a 30mm x 25mm counterbore which was missed by the original suppliers machine shop :(

Edited by Teslar

The happy day is here at last. The mount is on the pier at last :)

qe8etuzy.jpg

Now to clear up the obsy and get the scope on and wire everything up. Wall to wall cloud though so no point in rushing it :)

Just happy to get the milestone behind me :D

Good stuff Tom :) when you're up and running in seconds in the coming dark winter nights you will have forgotten all about the hardships of how you got there and just be loving the fact that you're there enjoying the skies in no time at all :)

A little more progress before settling down for the night

mu4ure2u.jpg

With the drilling and tapping done. Ive fitted the bracket to hold the Hitecastro Hub Pro :)

ehu8yma3.jpg

A little step in getting there :D

No first light yet but some basic balance and alignment carried out

udatezyt.jpg

There is a handy radio mast on the horizon to line up the finder with the ccd

ejehuqud.jpg

Works quite well I think. Nice of them to put it there :)

e3yja7as.jpg

The Hitecastro Hub Pro does a good job I'm glad I bought that. Still some wiring to tidy up though.

qe4e9ada.jpg

Not long till first light I hope :)

:happydance:

That's looking the business! So exciting! Can't wait to see your results :)