• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Memorable lines from vintage sci fi

Guest peepshow

Guest Kheldar

The heavens. Once an object of superstition, awe, and fear. Now a vast region for growing knowledge. The distance of Venus, the atmosphere of Mars, the size of Jupiter, and the speed of Mercury. All this and more we know. But their greatest mystery the heavens have kept a secret. What sort of life, if any, inhabits these other planets? Human life, like ours? Or life extremely lower in the scale? Or dangerously higher? Seeking the answer to this timeless question, forever seeking, is the constant preoccupation of scientists everywhere. Scientists famous and unknown. Scientists in great universities and in modest homes. Scientists of all ages.

No one would have believed in the early years of the 21st century that our world was being watched by intelligences greater than our own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns, *they* observed and studied, the way a man with a microscope might scrutinize the creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency, men went to and fro about the globe, confident of our empire over this world. Yet across the gulf of space, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic regarded our planet with envious eyes and slowly, and surely, drew their plans against us.

Guest fondofchips

Space....... the final frontier.

But who wants an ear at the front? 

Thanks Mike for reminding me to watch the 'Store Wars' spoof of Star Wars again on You Tube. If you haven't seen it then its well worth a look, now nearly 6 million viewings.

No one would have believed in the early years of the 21st century that our world was being watched by intelligences greater than our own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns, *they* observed and studied, the way a man with a microscope might scrutinize the creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency, men went to and fro about the globe, confident of our empire over this world. Yet across the gulf of space, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic regarded our planet with envious eyes and slowly, and surely, drew their plans against us.

When said by Richard Burton(orig W of W music CD) these words make you tremble. When done by O.Wells via the Radio its makes a very big country panic - oops

"Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in the galaxy that can make that claim."  :rofl:  i thought i would post this one

When said by Richard Burton(orig W of W music CD) these words make you tremble. When done by O.Wells via the Radio its makes a very big country panic - oops

The panic it caused is actually something of an urban myth. In truth it didn't cause the mass hysteria that most people think it did. It was timed poorly and most people who did panic came back to the recording part way through and didn't have a clue what was going on.

Guest peepshow

"If they're mortal, they must have mortal weaknesses. They'll will be stopped somehow."

"Keep behind me. There's no sense in being killed by a plant."

"Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in the galaxy that can make that claim."   :rofl:  i thought i would post this one

He speaks the truth! :P *hides*

:nonono:  i will find you :P

I think the quote you are looking for is: "I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you." :lol:

I think the quote you are looking for is: "I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you." :lol:

:lol:  :lol:

:facepalm:

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts
With my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

Vogon poetry. Douglas Adams.

Not to turn it into a H2G2 thread but, "Resistance is futile."

Edited by tuckstar

Why not;

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Which gives me the perfect excuse to post one of my favorite clips

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6b3V2MNxQ