• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moon from the 11th March

philjay

Another Mak moon this time from the 11th. Only just got round to processing properly to get rid of the strange artefacts I was having trouble with. These turned out to be due to stacking so I used manual stacking with about 20 alignment points spread across the disc. Seemed to do the trick,/

This is a mosaic of 2 panes taken with the 1000d through the 180 mak at F15 prime focus. ASA 200 cant remember what the exposure was.

Got lost on the contrast between frames so the join is a bit evident but Im quite pleased.

When clicked on you will get the half sized image

1100314makb.jpg

Lovely. I'd like it a bit brighter but that might just be my iphone screen.

Glad you are having fun with the scope.

Jd

Ta folks, its a little on the red side but I left it au naturalle so to speak to show its in colour :D I quite like the effect, gets away from the stark mono that Ive been doing previously 

There is an article in Aprils edition of the sky at night magazine on doing a moon mosaic. Most is quite basic but there are some interesting little things he puts, like just justing the too slider of the wavelets when doing a many-panel mosaic, and how he explains the stacking process. He (pete lawrence) used "avistacker" rather than registax or as!2 and it looks quite simple.

Jd

Thanks James, one day I shall try this type of software but Im old fashioned and like to do it in ps layers manually if there are only a few panes to stack, 2 in this instance

I will use the mosaic software when imaging with the smaller chipped qhy imgoh camera just to keep a check that i am covering the right areas