• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M106

Guest johnrt

Guest johnrt

Not sure how many times I've reprocessed this, but I've managed to stuff up somewhere on every previous version. Background too bright, too noisey core burnt out, lost the colours etc etc etc.

So after many attemps here is M106 shot during the lovelly weather of early March when I managed to accumulate over 17 hours of data in LRBG.

The imaging scope was an Altair Astro 6" RC and an Atik 314l+ as the capture camera. The data was processed (many times) in Pixinsight and CS5.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. :)

13266776953_e44dd135e9_c.jpg

Like the colour very much but the image looks overstretched somehow? The stars are like little 'balls', not seen that before? I should have another try, don't zzom it up too much and watch the stars while you are processing the galaxy. Good subject and a lot of data shouldn give you a cracking end image! Good luck  :)

Cheers

Ron

There are bags of other faint fuzzies in there, Iam no expert on this photo malarkey, but it will defo be a corker when you have sorted it. :)

Cannot advise with the processing but have to  agree with the comments above, a great image in the making.

Well, I would be very pleased if I'd produced a shot like that. Lovely colours and detail.

I am only on my phone but it looks impressive to me. Well done. That is a lot of data!!!!

Jd

Guest johnrt

Thank you for all the feedback guys, this one has certainly tested my processing skills as well as my patience!

I've spent the morning once again going through my data and have put together another process, this one is primarilly done in photoshop with just a few minor adjustments in Pixinsight - which is the opposite way to how I normally work.

13266776953_6cb4a7a0f5_c.jpg

From discussion elsewhere I think that the level I was wanting to push the image to was beyond the data I have captured so far, to achieve the smooth transition between galaxy arms and background at the brightness levels I wanted needs *lots* more data!

THe image in the original post may now be broken as I have replaced the image with the updated version.

Edited by johnrt

Second image is much the better John. I have problems with colour in PI and usually end up doing the colour stuff in PS.

Guest johnrt

Thanks folks. I feel much better now I've got much closer to beating this beast, I'm still left in two minds as to whether to press on with yet more exposure or move on to another target.

John - tried processing using DDP - this was with AstroArt 5.0 but its in PI as well. I've used this before to lift troublesome areas - hope you dont mind the noise level has increased but I'm hoping that's more to do with working off a jpg file...

NoName01_zps8be06362.png

Guest johnrt

John - tried processing using DDP - this was with AstroArt 5.0 but its in PI as well. I've used this before to lift troublesome areas - hope you dont mind the noise level has increased but I'm hoping that's more to do with working off a jpg file...

I think you've fallen in to the same trap as my early efforts, the core looks too blown out and the background too light. My data isn't up to the harder processing :)

Probably John - but the upload looks nothing like the image I have here on screen!