• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5 Polar Alignment

Mitt

Struggling to get my head around this!

I have the older version of the above mount (with the 40' and 60' showing in the polar scope).

Not had chance to align properly yet,but do i use the upper or lower set of numbers on the RA

circle? Have read conflicting reports on the internet!

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Regards,

David.

I'd set you circles to zero when the small polaris circle is at the 6 o clock position, then rotate the RA to get the polaris circle at the time indicated by your handset (eg, 9 o clock) and check the position by looking through the polar scope, then look at what hour angle the hand set suggests it should be, and see which line of numbers this relates to on the setting circle.

My limited experience with an heq5 is that the setting circles have a mind of their own, so unless the ones you have are more reliable than the ones i've played with, i wouldn't bother with this method (using setting circles) on the heq5. I'd either make your own, with some tape and timing marks, else just use the polar scope and guestimate where the polaris circle should be.

Jd

Edited by dawson

In my experience the setting circles on the HEQ5 are next to useless, I tried using them when I first got the mount and had nothing but trouble! In the last 2 years I have never even looked at them let alone used them. I PA using the polarscope and an 'app' or Polar Finder, do a 3 star aligning+2 other stars in PAE then yo check I use the Polar Alignment routine on the handset but have only had to adjust a couple of times. I easily get 10 min subs so I must be doing something right (but not with the setting circles!)

Just my 2 penneth!!

Ron

Ron,i don't have Polar Alignment routine on the handset,as it's a old version.

Not to confident about upgrading it either,not very good with computers i'm afraid.

Have read and re-read,Astro Baby's guide.Could i just ask,when i'm trying to find

a time when Polaris is in transit (using Polar Finder),am i right in thinking,that it will be

in the 6 o'clock position? (ie 20th Oct 01.40hrs).

Sorry if i sound so dumb!

David.

Yes, upgrading the handset is really easy if you follow the instructions to the letter Dave,if you can't then see if anyone local to you is able to do it?

Cheers

Ron

I live in Wirksworth,Paul. Spend some time in Somercotes aswell.(girlfriend lives there).

Have read the instructions regarding updating the handset,and to be honest,i'm not much wiser! lol

David.

Guest CodnorPaul

OK David - well if your struggling bring your mount to Somercotes next time you are there and I can try to have a look for you.  I am not that much of an expert being fairly new to this myself but have got an NEQ6 which I updated the handset on, and can show you hopefully how to set the mount and reticule up for you

When Polaris is at the transit point it will be in the 6O'clock position in the reticule yes :)

When aligning my HEQ5  I use PolarFinder for getting the position of Polaris and I'm also playing around with using a webcam on my polarscope.

Decided to try combine the two in order to get the polaris circle accurately lined up with the position given in polarfinder!

I found a small freeware program that can make individual windows transparent.  Seems to be working so far!

AlignOverlay-1.jpg

This example uses a polarscope screen from one of Dion's 'PolarCam' tutorial video's with the PolarFinder screen overlayed.  

Due to the clouds I've not had a chance to try this for real yet, but assuming I can suitably scale the video and actually get the cam to detect polaris, it should be fairly straightforward to get the angle lined up correctly!

When aligning my HEQ5  I use PolarFinder for getting the position of Polaris and I'm also playing around with using a webcam on my polarscope.

Decided to try combine the two in order to get the polaris circle accurately lined up with the position given in polarfinder!

I found a small freeware program that can make individual windows transparent.  Seems to be working so far!

AlignOverlay-1.jpg

This example uses a polarscope screen from one of Dion's 'PolarCam' tutorial video's with the PolarFinder screen overlayed.  

Due to the clouds I've not had a chance to try this for real yet, but assuming I can suitably scale the video and actually get the cam to detect polaris, it should be fairly straightforward to get the angle lined up correctly!

Neat Al - like that  :thumbsup:

Now I've got my NEQ6 talking to the laptop via EQmod I am going to use the polar alignment tool in EQmod to put the reticule to where it needs to be then centre Polaris. I have also got alignmaster now so will use that to fine tune things a little more hopefully that will do the trick. Neat idea about he polarcam and over laying the screen from polar finder though :)

The problem with the polar scope cam is a) the camera rotates with the polar scope, so the view/orientation through the polar cam stays the same whatever you do to the RA axis, it doesn't appear to move, unless you have found a way of the webcam to stay stationary whilst the polar scope rotates; and B) i'm not sure how you line up the polar scope cam view with the software view on the computer; it's easy to line up where polaris should be with where polar actually is, but unless you can ascertain other reference points, say ursa major stars, or other bright stars, you have no idea if the orientations are the same at several points, or just the one point of polaris.

On my mount, the setting circle are pretty good and so i use those and the hour angle, as previous debated, and this gives me a pretty accurate star alignment.

Jd

Jd

James, it doesn't matter whether the polar cam revolves or not, as long as Polaris doesn't!! You just put the star on the circle as stated by Polar Finder (do not have to use the 'little' circle on the circle, if you see what I mean!)

Ron

As long as you know the precise orientation of the view of the webcam, rotating it so, say, the small polaris circle is at the 6 o clock position when looking through the polar scope AND on the laptop, then yes, the rotation issue wouldn't be a problem, as you say, and polaris could be just put on the larger circle at the appropriate point.

I tried with a polar cam, but it disn't make life any easier (in fact more hassle) then i researched and learnt the setting circle method, and use my right angled polar scope viewer to save my back, and damp knees.

Jd