• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Raspberry Pi with ASI120MC camera

TasKiNG

Hi Dave,

Apparently the FPS on the PI has been upgraded as the software was slowing it down.

See this slow motion test 640X480 FPS90 ;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVzyO6cMXes&feature=youtu.be

Is that impressive for a £20 camera and £30 computer - i would settle just to get better focus - need to move Pi camera forward - i think

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stash

• TasKiNG

• xanthic

Hi Dave,

Apparently the FPS on the PI has been upgraded as the software was slowing it down.

Is that impressive for a £20 camera and £30 computer - i would settle just to get better focus - need to move Pi camera forward - i think

Great quality and fps. Will be interesting to see what it is like in low light.

Looking good for a clear night tonight. :)

Edited by TasKiNG

"Cranwell the PI has Landed" 

First avi (h264 actually) of moon quite please first run - first part crap and jumps (i am holding the "b" button down)  - 26mb 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aHac2P5RgVVGpWX0FZY2c5R2s/edit?usp=sharing

You can use VLC to play it haven't had time to convert it.

Edited by stash

"Cranwell the PI has Landed" 

First avi (h264 actually) of moon quite please first run - first part crap and jumps (i am holding the "b" button down)  - 26mb 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aHac2P5RgVVGpWX0FZY2c5R2s/edit?usp=sharing

You can use VLC to play it haven't had time to convert it.

Looking good. Is it possible to use manual exposure on the pi cam or is it auto only?

I have been outside for a couple of hours tonight. There were a few clouds but managed to grab some video of Jupiter, the moon and mars. 

I cheated though and used the laptop to get a good frame rate as was worried the clear skies wouldn't last long so more of a test of the ASI120MC.

I'll post a few pics when I've processed them.

Looking good. Is it possible to use manual exposure on the pi cam or is it auto only?

I have been outside for a couple of hours tonight. There were a few clouds but managed to grab some video of Jupiter, the moon and mars. 

I cheated though and used the laptop to get a good frame rate as was worried the clear skies wouldn't last long so more of a test of the ASI120MC.

I'll post a few pics when I've processed them.

The software I am using  PI Visual GUI is auto and a list af Std profile exposure - didn't have chance to play with settings as I have to go to Birm Airport in the morning so I will be off to bed soon. Very clear here -  best night for a long time except the RAF are flying tonight so occ get a "big Bird" going thru my FOV. Wish I could stay out later - bummer  :(

Will be interested to see the pics when processed.

Will be interested to see the pics when processed.

Not the best picture of Mars but not bad for a first attempt

mars080414_1.jpg

The moon pic came out quite well though

moon_080414_1.jpg

I have great difficulty seeing Mars in any detail so I would be happy with your Mars pic esp for a first attempt.

Moon pic looks good. :thumbsup:

It was that clear last night I was able to use my 5x Barlow and a 10mm on the moon and had little or no distortion - must have been close to ideal seeing conditions (for UK semi dark spot :-)  )

I am going to look into more detail at what I can set on the PI - The GUI was just quick and lazy and easier to edit than my cmd line files.

Guest ecopley

The slow motion shot of the coloured balls is fantastic. It looks simulated. Really nice!

The Mars and Moon pictures are great too. Tribute to perseverance! Nice work.