• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

23rd March Some more doubles in Cancer

philjay

Scope - Meade 127 ED Triplet Refractor.
Eyepieces used were Vixen LVW 22mm (43x), 13mm (73x), 5mm (180x), 3.5mm (272x)

Clear with some mild wind, seeing 5 on Pickering scale, some moments of clarity

20:30 hours,

Started with Jupiter. At times of steady seeing I was using the 3.5mm to great effect and getting a salmon pink GRS with dark brown NEB & SEB, plenty of detail in the turbulence near the GRS. Tried various filters with 80 (blue) bringing the spot out and 12 being generally good. The contrast booster worked quite well deepening the belts nicely without losing any colour on the GRS.

Continuing my doubles in Cancer

STF 1223                   Phi2 Cnc
Started with a matched pair of 6.3 mag stars up near Gemini.  An easy 5.1†separation. Easy in the 22mm and wide in the 13mm. Cannot determine any colour. Tested the conditions again and slotted a 3.5mm in just for a laugh and you could drive a bus through the gap ïŠ. Seeing is better tonight than last time.

STF 1201      
Next to Beta Cnc this 7.8 and 9.5 pair are a nice 6.6†apart making an easy target with the 22mm. No colour evident in any mag

STF 1212      
An 8.3 and 9.6 pair at 5.4†separation right high up in the constellation. 25mm easy spilt with 13mm a doddle, no colour.discernible.

STF 1219      
OK between beta and the head of Hydra this matched pair of 9.2 mag stars are a nice 12.2†apart and easy to split with a 22mm. I do like matched binaries., nice.

Phi 1 Cnc      
South 566, This 5.6 and 10.1 pair have a whopping 130†separation and are easy to see in the 13mm. The primary has some yellow in there????

STF 1224
24 Cnc, an almost matched pair at 7 and 7.8 mag with a comfortable 6.8†separation

Ok now for some fun, Epsilon Cnc in the middle of the M44 cluster. Always difficult to bag binaries in clusters. 6.3 and 7.4 with a 135†separation. This was surprisingly easy to identify because of the open aspect of M44 and the deadly accuracy of the old CGE goto. The CGE put the pair smack in the middle of the 13mm fov. Whilst I was in M44 I swapped to the Vixen Lanthanum LV 30mm 2†for a nice slew around the cluste.... glorious.

Delta Cnc. Going for a toughy now, 4.2 and 12.2 at 38†No chance  with this scope and tonights seeing but one has to try doesn’t one? It wouldn’t be fun otherwiseïŠ My imagination thought it could see something of the secondary but no, it wasn’t to be.

STF 1254      
Time for a multiple, again smack in the middle of M44, this is a 4 star system. It forms a slightly lopsided triangle and is easily defined against the general cluster stars. A&B components are 6.4 and 8.9  mags at a separation of 20â€. These on their own are a nice pairing but 63†away is the C component at 8.6 mag. At 82†separation is the D component at 8.9 mag. Very nice multiple and surprisingly easy to spot in the cluster.

STF 1245      
A triple this time, right near the nose of Hydra.  A 6 and 7.2 mag A&B component are easy pickings at 10.3†and when looking for the C component its easy to be distracted by a mag 9 (TYC 222-1236-1??) star almost in line with the AB pair but the C component is at 10.2 mag at 93â€.

STF 1246      
Now for some colour, According to the SAC data base this is a green and orange pair. I could detect some green in the primary every so often in the 13mm but no way could I see orange in the secondary. Mags 8.7 and 9.9 at 10â€.

Alpha Cnc (Acubens)
4.3 and 11.8 at 11.3, this was going to test seeing and scope, Nope no way not tonight. I thought something was there every so often but I reckon its imagination.

STF1298
66Cnc, 5.9 and 8 mag at 4.6†Nice in the 13mm.

A slight diversion to a low Mars, just because I kept catching it out the corner of my eye. 5mm revealed a nice sized disc but too much turbulence to see much. The blue filter didn’t really help but the yellow 12 filter popped the polar cap out really easily. during steady intervals which weren’t many but  it was so obvious. Not much else on the disc could be made out.

Iota Cnc, STF 1291
5mm splits the 6 and 6.5 AB pair at 1.4†with ease and the 9.1 C component at 55†fits nicely in the FOV making a nice catch.

STF 1276      
An easy 7 and 7.5 mag pair at a separation of 12.5†just west of M67. Which I couldn’t resist a visit whilst in the area.